Power Tool Order of Importance

Saws, Sanders, Drill Press etc. nice to have -- must have
Dave Bagwill

Re: Power Tool Order of Importance

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:11 am

SJ - There are some real advantages to doing a kit build first - not a 'glue-together' type kit, but something that gives you a lot to do, a lot to learn, skills that you have to develop, and will help you prioritize what you really will need for your scratch build.
I'm guiding two guys now who are building their first guitars using Ken's 'experiential' kits, and even though one of them has a lot of woodworking experience, he tells me that guitar making is a whole 'nuther thing and much harder than he would have guessed.
I'm just sayin' - you might actually be ahead by going with a kit first. Many a scratch builder has started that way.

OTOH if your mind is made up, go for it dude! :-)
-Under permanent construction

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:28 am

A moment ago I looked on Ebay, and a clone of the Safe-t-planer is offered for sixty bucks (today being January 18, 2013).
Peter Havriluk

ScooberJake

Post by ScooberJake » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks again for all of the replies, very helpful.

Peter - Yes, I noticed those safe-T-planer knock-offs. Sounds like I should grab one while I can. Just need to check that my drill press will take a 1/2" bit.

Dave - When I take on new projects, I tend to jump in with both feet. Not always a smart move I'll admit, but it makes things exciting!

One other question (on this topic at least, I have MANY more questions that should probably go in other threads). It sounds like a laminate trimmer is preferred over a full size router, I assume because it is easier to control the smaller sized tool. But if I already have a full size router, would I do better to invest in a laminate trimmer or a Dremel?

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:31 pm

You have to decide how you will cut your binding channels, then you will know what you need in a router, or router set-up. A full size router can be used, but it will probably be more awkward then a trim router is. You also may want to consider a binding routing machine. You can purchase or make one and they are very helpful in cutting nice square consistent binding channels. If you want to rout them holding the router, then the trim router is the best way to go. You can get one at HF for around $25 and it will do the job along with a jig of some kind. I have 2 of them along with a Porter Cable unit on my tower routing machine.

Kevin

Jackspt28

Post by Jackspt28 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:51 pm

Get one of Ken's binding machines, It comes with the trim router and works great. I bought it when I ordered my kit from Ken. I was a little nervous when I cut my first binding channels, but this tool made it simple and mistake free. I would also recommend one of Kens kits to start out, I got the full success kit it comes with the mold , and some excellent tools and fixtures. Mine has been a pleasure to put together. Good luck, WarningThis is an addictive hobby !!.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Seeing as how a Grizzly laminate trimmer router is cheaper than a Dremel, if I was doing the buying, I'd buy the router before I bought a Dremel.
Peter Havriluk

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:15 pm

re: Safe-t-planer clone.

I just ordered one from Woodworkers Supply for $34.99 plus postage (7.95). The catalog illustration is the same picture as the Ebay listing of the tool.
Peter Havriluk