Brushing Lacquer

Pore filling -- application methods -- schedules

Moderator: dhlutherie

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
Jon Heimbruch

Brushing Lacquer

Post by Jon Heimbruch » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:37 pm

I have a maple guitar ready for finish and have decided to try my hand at brushing lacquer. I have been practicing on scrap and feel I have got the hang of it. I do have a few questions however. First, as I stated the soundbody back and sides are maple. I want to stain the maple a light amber, just dark enough to present a distinct difference from the soundboard which I will leave natural. Can someone recommend a brand of stain that works well. I have no experience with stain. Also sould I wipe it on or brush it on? Should it go on before or after the sanding sealer. Since it is maple I did not pore fill. The guitar has been finish sanded to 320 grit. By the way this guitar is a KMG kit. It has a maple neck with walnut laminations. I posted a pix of the neck elsewhere on the forum. It has turned out nice. I will post pix when its completed. I will look forward to any advice regarding the stain and anything else that may help the process. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Jon

ken cierp

Re: Brushing Lacquer

Post by ken cierp » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:11 pm

I would tint the lacquer -- but make sure you use clear to seal first, like two coats. No different than tinted shellac.

Jon Heimbruch

Re: Brushing Lacquer

Post by Jon Heimbruch » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks Ken. Sounds like the best way to do it. This kit is amazing. Its going to look and sound awsome. It also gets alot of cool points. A picture is worth a thousand words and I will get some pix posted when its done. Its a keeper for sure!