Jack's number 4- KMG Norman Blake 000-12 finished

Show us how your current project is progressing
ken cierp

Re: Jack's number 4- KMG Norman Blake 000-12 finished

Post by ken cierp » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:04 am

Don't want to make this a "sound port" thread -- but briefly, two makers I respect Charles Fox and Al Carruth have wrote a bit on the subject -- from what I gather they both conclude that a sound port does make a nice personal monitor for the player. Apparently the science indicates the opening area be it sound hole or combination SH and SP affects the "main air resonance" Now, I doubt you'll be able to find any formulas that produce the silver bullet numbers that will make a given guitar "sound better" or more importantly sound "worse." Another note is that Charles Fox has stated that his adjustable sound port turns out to be a novelty with no discernible sound quality differences using partial openings -- the player monitor is either on/open off/closed.

Herman

Post by Herman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:59 am

Beautiful work Jack! Love to see your OO project, since I'm about to start a OO.

About the soundport: I made two guitars with a soundport. Everyone, without exception, just love it. We played them, open and taped off the hole. In front of the guitar there is no big difference, but to the player: so much more feedback.
In short: I'm confinced.
Herman

Herman

Post by Herman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:01 pm

Question:
What's the difference in structure and soundwise regarding the cross tonebar?
Herman

Michael_K

Post by Michael_K » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:34 pm

First let me say, Jack your work is beautiful again. I by no means meant to hijack your thread and if Ken wants to move those responses to another thread, that would be cool too.

Second your work is beautiful. I am going to build a NB by Ken's stencil but using an actual bracing pattern of the NB. I play only for myself really and sometimes cock the guitar at an angle so I can hear it a little better. I just thought the sound port might give a little more me sound. But a true Martin Norman Blake uses a 1/8 smaller sound hole, I didn't want to alter the cubic inches of air hole. But if there is no discernible sound difference. I shouldn't overthink it.

"The Norman Blake Signature Models combine Martin 14-fret 000 body style and 24.9 scale length with a 12-fret (to the body) neck. This unique combination allows the top braces to be shifted forward to cross just below the soundhole and places the bridge lower on the top for greater soundboard vibration. A 00 size soundhole (1/8" smaller than 000) and 1/4" width scalloped braces enhance both bass response and dynamic range"

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:03 am

using an actual bracing pattern of the NB.
Nice that you are able to get that --- I'd like to see that pattern posted here on the forum

Thanks

Jackspt28

Post by Jackspt28 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:59 pm

Hello Guys, Thanks for the compliments. The Norman Blake model is the best sounding guitar I Have made so far. I love the 12 fret neck and have Martin light stings on it.The tones are beautiful and it plays so easily. Mine is built from Kens template and has the 25.4 scale length. I would like to build another with the 24.9 just to see how it sounds and plays. For me the 000 and 00 shapes are my favorites so far. I used to like dreads, but after playing the 000 it has become my favorite.

I'm also building a Martin Size 2 from Kens templates , I scorched a mahogany side during bending but didn't want to waste wood so I used it. Besides this one is pretty basic and I am interested it how it will sound.

Trying to decide what to build next after the current projects are complete. Any suggestions?? I kind of like the Gibson L00? I also bought a template from Ken for a Ditson so that in on the build list as well.

Regarding sound ports, My first KMG 000 was built as a gift and I added a shamrock sound port. I built another one for myself with an eagle sound port. I like the feedback I get from the sound port as I have lost about 60 percent hearing in my right ear so the sound port being on my left side give good feedback to my good ear.

Herman- I will post some pictures of the 00-14 I am building. That one is Padauk back and sides and a Carpathian spruce top with an Oval sound port and ebony bindings. The body is done and needs to be buffed out and I need to complete the neck.

Michael K - I play the Norman Blake more than the Eagle sound port 000-14 and they are both hanging next to each other. I don't seem to miss the fact that there is no sound port in the Norman Blake I built with the standard 3- 7/8 sound hole. The Norman Blake has better Tone and overtones , but I don't feel it has anything to do with the absence of a sound port.

Thanks Again, Jack