New Toy

Saws, Sanders, Drill Press etc. nice to have -- must have
George

New Toy

Post by George » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:43 pm

I picked up this oscillating spindle sander at Rockler for $150.

It's going to make short work of removing overhang. I believe it will be a very useful tool in many ways.

George

Dave Bagwill

Re: New Toy

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:22 pm

Let us know how it works for you, George - I've been thinking one might be pretty useful as well.
-Under permanent construction

Ray Ussery

Post by Ray Ussery » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

It's my go to sander for a lot of things...have been making new handles for some of my wife's favorite knives...very useful on some tool and jig making...have reproduced a couple of headstocks for others on electrics...
lots and lots of uses...most curves can very easily be formed and my favorite thing? NO dust (When connected to the vac) I do forget now and then...whew! :>)
Just a note of caution...use a strong magnet or fined a place to safely store the big washer...it's beyond me how something that big can get lost that easily.

(I bought mine at Harbor Freight for $89,and have had it a year, still haven't used up the paper...or had any problems. At that time the same company was making all of them with that look and shape and spindles!)

Ray

Not in the Aug. paper, seems like every other month it's on sale...the number is item#95088 ....and there is a 25% coupon on line if you wish..at

http://promocodesforyou.com/index.php?i ... MgodthcAGQ

(They have another one now and I hear it's no good!) here's a pic of mine:

George

Post by George » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:22 am

Sure looks like they were made at the same factory doesn’t it Ray. There’s a Harbor freight about 20 miles from my place. I live out in the sticks so everything is around 20 miles from me. I don’t seem to get over to that part of town very often. I think I’ll go there the next time I’m tool shopping.

Here’s my first cut. The end of this finger board is going to run adjacent to the radius of the sound hole. It took about 5 seconds to make the cut.

George

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:46 am

Nice score George,
I've been considering one of those from HF Ray, just trying to decide if I have anymore room in the shop. So far the drum sander in the drill press has worked out pretty well.
How tall are those sanding drums?

Kevin

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:41 pm

KMG has the Rigid version
More discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=191

George

Post by George » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:07 pm

Well shoot,,,,,,,, now I want one of those too.

Not only did I pay more than anyone else, I bought the wrong machine. lol

This is why I usually ask for members advice before I make a purchase.

The Triton I bought is nice though. It's very quiet, virtually dust free when hooked up to a collector and has a powerful motor.

George