Video of brushing Nitro Lacquer

Pore filling -- application methods -- schedules

Moderator: dhlutherie

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
TonyinNYC

Video of brushing Nitro Lacquer

Post by TonyinNYC » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:45 am

I made a video of how I brush on Deft Brushing Lacquer as requested by deadedith Dave. I apologize in advance for the shoddy camera work. Turns out, it's much harder to video your left hand while holding the camera with your right hand than I thought!
A few notes:
I finish sand up to 220grit, then I pore fill with Z-Poxy. Three coats filled the pores nicely. I sand with a block to get a nice level surface. I level sand between coats often sanding to bare wood in spots. After the third coat, I will sand almost completely back to bare wood and then mix up a thinned batch of Z-Poxy. I thin about 50/50 and wipe it on with a lint free cloth so that all of the wood is coated with Z-Poxy.
Before I apply the lacquer, I scuff sand the whole box with 320 grit paper, then I wipe it off with naphtha followed with a tack cloth twice. I then wipe the whole box with denatured alcohol. I know that cured epoxy is not supposed to be affected by solvents, but to the touch, it feels mildly tacky after I wipe it with the DNA.
Then, I do this:

It is very important, despite what I did in the video, to not touch the lacquer once you make a stroke. By the time you finish the stroke from tip to tail, the lacquer will already be forming a skin. Touching the skinned over lacquer with the brush will do more harm than good. I am brushing thinned lacquer in the video and it stays wet longer so you have a bit more time to play with it. I highly recommend thinner the lacquer according to the manufacturer's instructions if you wish to do less sanding later. Brushing leaves lots of ridges and sanding it level later takes plenty of time. Thinning the lacquer will help a bit with the ridges.
Use light strokes.

There might be a video of my sanding technique to come. There will definitely be pics.
Please ask me any questions you may have. Finishing can be a daunting task and I know this video is not comprehensive. I will be putting on several more coats so if you want to see something I didn't show, ask! I can make another video to answer any questions.

Thanks for watching!

Tony
Last edited by TonyinNYC on Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Bagwill

Re: Video of brushing Nitro Lacquer

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:46 am

Outstanding, I don't care what everyone else says, you are, for the nonce, the MAN!
Seriously, thanks.
What kind of brush?
How do you level between coats, or do you?

Keep it up, really enjoyable.
Dave
-Under permanent construction

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks Dave! Glad you liked it. I used a $12 brush from the local paint store. I asked for a soft brush suitable for lacquer and he gave me a Brush. I don't recall the brand.
I don't level between coats. Thinning the lacquer makes it go on smoother than full strength but I didn't level before I started thinning either.
I woke up with what feels like a horrible hangover because I didn't wear my mask. Definitely wear a good carbon filter mask! Lowed and Home Depot sell masks with replaceable cartridges for under $20 and they make a world of difference.

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:27 am

I should add that good lighting is important. For most things I do in my shop, I only use the overhead lighting. For certain tasks, such as prep sanding and painting on the lacquer, I use the low angle light in addition to the overhead lights.

A note about the brush: I need to get a new one today. The one I was using in the viedo is over two years old and has painted the lacquer on 5 guitars before this one. As a result, the bristles are beginning to crack and I found a few small pieces in the finish when I checked this morning. I will post the brush I buy once I get it.
I also forgot to add that I do not clean the brush and dry it after each session. I cut a hole in the lid for the container full of lacquer thinner and I push the handle of the brush through the hole which keeps the bristles in the thinner, but not sitting on the bottom of the container. When I used to let the brush sit in the container, the bristles would bend and make it hard to apply the next coat.
I also keep the lacquer I am using in the container I showed in the video covered between uses and check the consistency before each session. If it needs thinner, I add some. Pretty simple.

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Anyone want to see how I finish my necks? I don't use lacquer on them any longer.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Bring it!
-Under permanent construction

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Challenge accepted!

I will make a video tonight.