Bracing question in regards to scale length

Wood choice logic, brace shapes, braces patterns -- what and why for the "heart of the guitar"
Michael_K

Bracing question in regards to scale length

Post by Michael_K » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:58 pm

Ok, question for you experts.

I love the playability of the shorter scale, but the sound of a D-18GE is awesome, loud, and powerful for the music I play. So I have a nice set of bees wing mahogany. I have two top sets, one Lutz Spruce, and one Hybrid red spruce. Not sure which to use in this application.

If I shorten the scale to 24.9, would you use like .250 bracing instead of .3125, or something in between to offset the loss of tension? I know your question might be

"What are you trying to accomplish?"

Answer : Short scale with little volume loss in comparison to a standard 25.4 D-18Ge Scale length.

Am I over thinking? or trying to have my cake and eat it too?

I am curious to hear opinions.
Last edited by Michael_K on Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ken cierp

Re: Bracing question in regards to scale length

Post by ken cierp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:47 pm

J-45's have short scale and 1/4" x 1/2" high braces. Some have scalloped bracing others look like a bunch of sticks glued in an x pattern --- funny, most seem to like the latter best - go figure.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:32 pm

D35's have non scalloped 1/4" bracing --- most perceive the 35 to have more bass response than the d28. Of course the myth is that the three piece back attributes to more bass which is not true.

The lesson here is that stiffening the sound board decreases the low frequency output which tends to increase the perceived treble response.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:44 pm

Here's an interesting recent quote from Chris Martin in reference to D35 design strategy:

. “Every time you brace a top thinner, you’re going to get better sound, as long as you don’t compromise the structure,” Chris Martin explains. “That’s always the give and take with every acoustic guitar: how far do you push delicacy before you end up with a thing that collapses on itself? We had had enough history with the 000 bracing that we said, ‘We can use this. It’s a little bigger top, but we can take a chance. ”

Michael_K

Post by Michael_K » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:23 pm

I actually just sold my Martin D-35MP. A nice fellow in Norway bought it from me. After building 3 guitars, it didn't get any playing time. It sounded great and loud plenty of bass, but the highs just sound "tin like" But the braces were not scalloped.

Maybe the shorter scale might help?

I am 44, my Dad has a D-35 also from 76 he bought new. I sounds great as well, just not as much to my liking as my 37 D-28 style BRZ, I built.

I was in Phoenix for a work trip and stopped by acoustic vibes, wow what a guitar shop! I played a CS-D18 12 fret hog dread. Loved it, but not the 4900 price tag.

I really don't need another guitar, but I enjoy building the few I have. I have seen many reviews on the Santa Cruz D-12. I believe the body is a little shallower on that model.

What is on my mind is use the Lutz top I have with the hog. 12 fret dread with GE style forward shifted .250 with a 25 inch scale.

The planning stage is always my favorite part, next to the stringing.

Thanks for the opinions Mr. Ken.

Michael_K

Post by Michael_K » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:36 pm

AB9344a.jpg
AB9344a.jpg (80.65 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
This would also be a very cool guitar I think. It is an 0000-18S from Gruhn. (corrected i forgot put 000 in the original post so I edited.)

I imagine this would be a good flat picker or fingerpicker. It would take building new patterns and bending inserts.
Last edited by Michael_K on Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.