Marquetry using the vacuum bag from roarockit

Things that matter and not -- Just keep it wholesome
Dave Bagwill

Marquetry using the vacuum bag from roarockit

Post by Dave Bagwill » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:36 pm

Not for everyone, but it is an entertaining vid on a technique that might come in useful sometimes. I make my own bags now, but I used one like this for a couple of years and it makes plenty of vacuum and holds it for 24 hours or so.

http://youtu.be/4wu-ALG0zzk
-Under permanent construction

John Link

Re: Marquetry using the vacuum bag from roarockit

Post by John Link » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:44 pm

It might have been diabolical fun to watch you pump out the air from your side lamination setup with that "monstrous" pump the guy uses.
John

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:51 pm

Oh yeah.
In real life one uses a shop vac to pull 99% of the air out - 15 seconds, then finish up with that hand pump - 30 seconds.

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:08 pm

Dave I would like to investigate this vacuum system. Not know anything about it what would you suggest ?

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Lonnie, you can use this link:

http://www.roarockit.com/tap.php?id=13

Lots of info. The system really works. I bought the 26"x28" bag and it was plenty sufficient. You can put your glued top or back with braces in a mold, right into the bag, vacuum out the excess, use the hand pump to get it the rest of the way, and you're done. It holds that vacuum a long time.

Edit: link to vid showing shopvac being used:

Information on amount of vacuum and psi that this system provides: (look for PRESSURE)
http://ministryofwood.com/the-nitty-gritty-process-2/

It is not a toy. Epoxy and glues do not stick to it.

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks Dave. I'm contemplating that 59.00 one. Looks like it will handle most jobs that we would encounter. The Lamination of the sides is going to require more thought on my part. I know it sounds good. It's an old system finding a new lease on life I suppose. But actually many guitars are laminates now. Wife says I have to wait a couple days cause I just got something new yesterday. Nahnahnah. Oh well she just had 12 teeth pulled yesterday and Dentures installed so I guess she has a right to be a little grumpy. Hmmm!! If I take some of her pain pills I'll get over it faster. I'll go ahead and order one by the end of the week. I still haven't completely assembled my MM yet. Too many other things. Trying to get my new Table Saw delivered. Seems like everything is happening at once.