What to look for when purchasing a used band saw

Saws, Sanders, Drill Press etc. nice to have -- must have
TonyinNYC

Re: What to look for when purchasing a used band saw

Post by TonyinNYC » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:32 am

I have a coping saw and a $12 thin kerf pull saw that do 100% of the cutting jobs I need them to do. The cost does not add up quickly. I am on guitars number 9 and 10, plus one completed ukulele, and I am only now starting to consider a small, table top saw just to make my life easier. Keep in mind, I am SUPER lazy!
My recommendation for a small band saw is this:
Don't get one. Not unless you plan to build a bunch of guitars. Like I said, I am 10 deep and don't have one. Cutting the top and back profiles is slower than a band saw would be, but for under $20 you can get a coping saw and some fine tooth blades and be in business.
I recently, as in last night, cut a bunch of rosette tiles with my $12 pull saw and they are all pretty much uniform because I used the small miter box for my razor saw and a stop block. While I would like to get a small band saw, the number of guitars i make a year does not justify it. I build between 2 and 3 guitars a year. Not all that much cutting really.
Now, if arthritis or achy joints are an issue, by all means buy one. But if they are not problems for you, do it by hand. Cheap, quiet, and pretty clean.

Kyle Barbour

Post by Kyle Barbour » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:18 pm

I also don't have a bandsaw and have done okay. I did borrow a bandsaw to rough cut the neck blank for the bass ukulele I'm working on. This is the first time I built a neck and the first time I needed the use of a bandsaw and I'm sure there was a way around it. For everything else I use small hand saws. I do have a tablesaw/jig saw combination but it has mainly been used for building forms, not much else. All that said, I would like to pick up a small band saw if the price is right.
Kyle

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:42 pm

It will save you beau coup bucks when you learn to re-saw. You wood costs just plummet.
-Under permanent construction

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:23 pm

For cutting neck blanks, you really do want a band saw. But, over the years I have been building, I have made friends with some people who can resaw for me. And Dave is absolutely right. The cost per set plummets like a stone when you cut your own sets. So as payment for slicing up wood for me, I always offer a set for free. Of course, I have only done this once, but it was great. I got curly koa for about $7.00 a slice for each back and side.

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Dave,
Speaking of resawing. Do you have any sources up in your neck of the woods for good walnut and myrtle billets to resaw?
I only know of Goby (from online) and they don't have much for acoustic, and PineCreek Woods (again online).

Kevin

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:29 pm

You might try Oregonwildwood.com, cookwoods.com, both have treated me well.
-Under permanent construction

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:11 pm

I've purchased from Cook Woods before, not OregonWildwoods. I'll check them out.
I got a beautiful billet of ribbon Sapele a few weeks ago locally, and looking foward to sawing it up. Almost perfectly quartered with no flaws.
Anyway................

Kevin