#11, Wabi-sabi Guitar

Show us how your current project is progressing
Will Reyer

Re: #11, Wabi-sabi Guitar

Post by Will Reyer » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:44 pm

Kevin,

I did a smaller version with horizontal segments in the neck heel in contrasting woods for my #10 build. Just needed additional length and lacked more of the teak so used maple scraps already surfaced to that thickness. Liked the effect, but I broke the heel by tightening the 1/4-20 screw against the single cross-barrel nut (see my #10 build). Did same for this one, added more maple. It also has the thin maple in line with a nut, but I'm hoping my glue joint is better this time.

The first guitar book I bought, in a second-hand bookstore, was Don Teeter's. He remarked he'd built a guitar once using white pine for bracing and it sounded good, so I've done that for all my builds. He also said the intonation would be lots better with a quarter-inch of width on the saddle, so I've done that also. As well, it's lots easier to make bridges with a slot plowed straight across.

Note that Lowden uses thin saddles but has two in their bridges for improved intonation, one for strings 1 & 2 and a second for the rest.

I use Corian for both nuts and saddles, though currently I'm using a zero fret so making false nuts to space the strings. I do this purely because I have a sink cut-out in white Corian which is, in my case, a more than lifetime supply. It's hard to find bone in dimensions that I need, though I'll readily admit bone undoubtedly has better acoustic properties.

The Corian works easily and is fairly tough. I never glue either nuts or saddles in, though I try for a press-fit in a tapered slot for the nuts, like front sights on rifles. Having them easily removable will hopefully let a later luthier easily fabricate replacements if the Corian proves deficient.

Will Reyer

Post by Will Reyer » Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:47 pm

12/06/23
Number Eleven is finally complete, pero non vi si pensa quanto sangue costa if I recall my Latin correctly.

Two years in the making. Lots of other stuff going on here now. Calling this one Plain Jane, as it's plain-sawn maple without fancy grain, Adirondack soundboard, minimal African mahogany bindings, rosette, neck with a maple center stripe and spacers for height of tenon. Indian rosewood fretboard and bridge. And a big horrendous Corian logo on the headstock.

Strung it up a week ago with completed Corian false nut (zero fret) and compensated saddle. Didn't like the neck. Took it off and worked it over with drawknife and rasp, etc. More satin wiping urethane.

Despite lanolin moisturizer here in the Frozen North my left middle finger split at the end, so can't do playing in yet. Got the locals coming Friday night to play in my shop, though, and plan on passing it around so I can hear how it sounds in other hands.

I will get it played in and add sound file(s). Herman and I agree, it ain't over until the fat lady sings, and Jane appears to have some promise.
Attachments
bridge&saddle.jpg
bridge&saddle.jpg (61.4 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
Plain Jane complete.jpg
Plain Jane complete.jpg (55.45 KiB) Viewed 1110 times

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:21 am

Jane is a pretty little thing. Nice work Will.
Sometimes simple is better!

Herman

Post by Herman » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:52 pm

Good work Will, Let us know what the audience thought. I always am surprised how a guitar sounds different in other hands.
Herman

Will Reyer

Post by Will Reyer » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:33 pm

12/16/23

Didn't play in shop on Friday the 8th after all. The weekly Monday blood draw for Pam's new chemo indicated she needed a transfusion so went to Ann Arbor instead, took most of the day and home late.

That left us two guys short of last week's 6 who could have attended but we played yesterday, the 15th with 4. My middle finger, left hand, improved but short thumbnail on right hand (play with fingers only) left me not playing much after it got sore.

So here's #11, Plain Jane, talking thru the hands of Otto, Mike, and Dan. I'll add some when able and I'd like to get David to play Joy To The World on it, too, since it's the season, he does it so well, and Jane talks nice. Otto doing a little of Mississippi John Hurt's version of John Henry, Dan with some Albert King, and Mike with House Of The Rising Sun.

All this on the iPhone Voice Memos. Crude, but it will give you some idea of the sound. Enjoy.

To listen click to download and then they can be played from the download.
Otter 11.mp3
(455.99 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Mike11.m4a
(825.12 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Dan11.m4a
(406.87 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:03 pm

The guitar sounds great. Fun recordings

Kevin in California