Spindle Sanders

Saws, Sanders, Drill Press etc. nice to have -- must have
Ken Hundley

Re: Spindle Sanders

Post by Ken Hundley » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:54 pm

Again, I couldn't be happier with the HF version,and the dustport works flawlessly. The only reason I would recommend the Rigid instead is that most often, I need both a belt sander and the spindle sander to do different areas of the same part. I have a hand held belt sander I either clamp to a table, or hold in a vice, depending on the orientation needed. All that nonsense would go away with the Rigid. Otherwise, I am completely happy with the HF version.
So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:55 pm

The dust "containment" on the Rigid is just OK I think it could have been designed better? For our neck sanding station I have a downdraft system set -up that actually uses an old clothes dryer blower assembly for the vacuum, from above I keep the air flowing downward with a low CFM fan -- we are just trying to keep the air current in the proper direction without causing the dust to bounce around and getting out of control.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:20 pm

I've always been curious to see a pic of one of your cnc's at work.
-Under permanent construction

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 pm

BTW That thing behind the downdraft vacuum is a huge air cleaner made from a whole house furnace blower -- the air is drawn in through that filter you see there and exits through two large 3 micron output filters. I also have a upper level cleaner which also runs constantly -- the air in this shop (1400 sq. ft.) I figure turns over in about three or four minutes!

Dave I'll put some CNC videos together, I was going to do that for the KMG website too.

Brian Itzkin

Post by Brian Itzkin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:37 pm

I have this grizzly sander. I've used the ridgid one as well as a few others and this is by far the best one I've used (as well as the largest and most expensive, so keep that in consideration)