Ladder-braced parlor guitar

Show us how your current project is progressing
Dave Bagwill

Re: Ladder-braced parlor guitar

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Got the blocks glued in, and made some solid linings. The li
The way I did the linings is this:
Cut a 1x3 poplar board into close to 1/16" strips on the bandsaw.
Cut those strips into 22" lengths for the parlor guitar
Thicknessed all the strips to .050" on the drum sander
Put clear packing tape around the inside perimeter
Put 5 strips in a stack, bent them a couple of inches at a time around the rim on the tape
Clamped every few inches
Lifted the clamps one at a time and superglued the crap out of it
Repeat. Took about an hour start to finish.

They are all done and turned out fine; tomorrow I will clean them up, round the bottom edge, and glue them in with titebond once I get a good glue surface. I surely hope I remember to take off the packing tape.
Attachments
A 5 layer lining being bent into place and clamped. Very easy, as long as the individual strips are not more than .050" thick.
A 5 layer lining being bent into place and clamped. Very easy, as long as the individual strips are not more than .050" thick.
DSC00937.JPG (143.7 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
One set of linings being laminated together.
One set of linings being laminated together.
DSC00935.JPG (152.26 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
This is looking down on the headblock being glued. I round the block a bit using a radius board then use that board as a caul. I like a bit of a rounded look.
This is looking down on the headblock being glued. I round the block a bit using a radius board then use that board as a caul. I like a bit of a rounded look.
DSC00933.JPG (115.4 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
-Under permanent construction

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Awesome photo's Dave. I'm getting anxious to get started on mine. Still waiting on the Cedar top. Hope I don't run into problems with it. I have ordered from them before and they were very prompt. That's just a little touch of ptsd kicking in.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:50 pm

Not cleaned up yet, but the linings are installed and I'm satisfied with the look - but mainly, those sides are now STIFF! And since the sides are laminated, cracking is not a problem and the side supports do not have to be done. I think the side supports look cool anyway, but I'm going to leave them off of this one.
I'll clean up the linings and the sides tomorrow and then get started on the top.
BTW the notches in the headblock go all the way through, so the a-frame I install will butt against the sides at the heel area. George Lowden advised me to do that when I emailed him about the a-frame business.
I use a spokeshave to get the glue off the top of the linings and even things up.
Attachments
DSC00939.JPG
DSC00939.JPG (144.75 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
DSC00941.JPG
DSC00941.JPG (199.86 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
DSC00942.JPG
DSC00942.JPG (221.17 KiB) Viewed 1358 times

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:45 am

Those solid linings sure look sharp in the rims.

John Link

Post by John Link » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:55 am

Dave,

It looks like you super glue the lining lams as you wrap them around?
John

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:55 am

John - I dry-clamp them in place against the packing tape - I'm not wanting to super glue them to the sides, I use titebond for that - then lift the clamps one or two at a time and flood that area with CA, replace the clamp(s) and move on to the next clamp or two, etc., until I've flooded the lams with CA. I wait 15 minutes or so, remove everything including the packing tape :-) , take a minute to clean up the linings and make sure I have a clean glue surface, then titebond the now very stiff linings to the sides.

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Smooth linings Dave. Nice method for doing them too.