DISASTER - HELP!!!

Tools and techniques

Moderator: Dave Bagwill

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
Ray Ussery

Re: DISASTER - HELP!!!

Post by Ray Ussery » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Matt Fisher wrote:Thanks Ray, I've found the micro-crystaline polish on amazon so I think I'll invest in some. I didn't use any polish originally simply because I wasn't sure what would work with the TruOil. Do you use the 3M steel wool between every coat? Some say not to bother for the first few..
I use it every 3rd coat if it seems uneven...it depends on how smooth you apply it to begin with...most people try to put on too much at a time and wind up with runs and uneven application...thus the need to level with steel wool.

I apply the first few coats with a folded coffee filter, (Or all of them if I'm not spraying) it makes a great leveler it's self...just don't try to put on too much at a time. You should be able to allow it to dry and get 4 coats a day easy unless the humidity is high...it's very dry where we are so that's not a problem!

Boy, that regular steel wool get's in your finish it's a bear to get out! Have fun! hope that helps...if I spray, I don't use anything until the finish sanding!