My new Wagner Safe-T-Planer Setup...

Saws, Sanders, Drill Press etc. nice to have -- must have
Tim Benware

Re: My new Wagner Safe-T-Planer Setup...

Post by Tim Benware » Fri May 31, 2013 1:19 pm

I have read somewhere that the copy can kick back because the plate is slightly different, just a word of caution as I have no first-hand knowledge.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Fri May 31, 2013 1:55 pm

I've experienced no kick back with mine, cuts smoothly, but you can't take a big bite at a time, I'm sure its the same with the wagner

Kevin

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Fri May 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Kevininca wrote:I've experienced no kick back with mine, cuts smoothly, but you can't take a big bite at a time, I'm sure its the same with the wagner

Kevin
I think what I read was that it had to do with the "Woodworker" model having cavities on the bottom that can fill up with debris and the Safe-t-Planer is solid.

(Looks like I gotta clean that thang. Just finished thinning some Braz rosewood the other day, that stuff is hard.)
Attachments
Safe-T-Planer.jpg
Safe-T-Planer.jpg (381.81 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

Robert Hosmer

Post by Robert Hosmer » Fri May 31, 2013 4:57 pm

I used to have the original Wagner until it was loaned out and never returned. Have since been using the Woodtek knockoff.

I am very satisfied with the performance of the Woodtek, and the only performance difference I have noticed is that the cutters seem to require sharpening on a more frequent basis.
But then again, this type of comparison could be very subjective, as I have used the Woodtek on both Lignum vitae and African blackwood, whereas I never had the opportunity to use the Wagner on such woods.

Keep the cutters sharp, and keep the tool spinning as fast as your drill press allows (up to max recommended speed), and you'll be a happy camper.
Not a bad idea to invest in an extra set of cutters. Saves a lot of time during the project by simply switching out cutters instead of stopping to clean/sharpen in the middle of everything. The dirty cutters can be soaking while you're still working.
Always have plenty of sandpaper; it's rough out there!

Daniel P

Post by Daniel P » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:22 pm

I just picked up the one sold by Woodworker Supply - despite the photo on their website, it actually has a closed base very much like the Wagner Safe T Planer.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:49 am

Your images are not working?

J Phillips

Post by J Phillips » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:03 am

Is there a recommended speed for these? Could you put it in a variable speed router and use it if you made a jig for it.? I know its made for a drill press but mine took a dump last week. I may have blown the cap. or at least I hope its that and not the motor. I got one off Ebay a couple of weeks ago and have not gotten a chance to use it yet. The directions didn't mention any speed settings. With the drill press down the router is my only way to use it now.
Jim
Jim Phillips
Will work for G-code.