What to look for when purchasing a used band saw

Saws, Sanders, Drill Press etc. nice to have -- must have
ScooberJake

What to look for when purchasing a used band saw

Post by ScooberJake » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:00 pm

I guess the first question is what should I look for in a saw for lutherie. I am not expecting to resaw, so is 6" vertical capacity enough? What about horizontal, is 9 or 10" enough?

Also, what should I look for to make sure I'm not buying a piece of junk? Do I need to verify that the table is flat? Or that the blade runs vertically?

TIA. - Jake

ken cierp

Re: What to look for when purchasing a used band saw

Post by ken cierp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:14 pm

What's your budget $$$ ?

ScooberJake

Post by ScooberJake » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:39 pm

Good question. But I'm afraid I have a lame answer: cheap. I've tried to make a tally of everything I need to build my first guitar, and it really adds up quickly. So I would like to get a basic bandsaw that will do most of the tasks a luthier would be interested in using such a machine for. Also, if there is a task that is often performed on a table saw but can also be done on a bandsaw if you get one with feature X I would appreciate that info as well. I don't have a table saw, I don't have room for one, and a near accident with one many years ago has instilled in me a healthy fear of those machines.

I see a lot of bandsaws on Craigslist in the $50-200 range. Some older Craftsman models even going for $30.

Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:51 pm

I had a craftsman 9" for a while that did most of what I needed it to do. It only had trouble trying to hog out a neck in the heal area. I had other issues with it on another project that basically killed it, but otherwise, it did 95% of what I needed it for. I got it for $50 from my brother in law. I would go for more power and a larger throat if you plan on building a form with more than 2 layers of 3/4" plywood. I tried 4 layers, and it was ugly.
So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 pm

Our automatic ribbon lining machine is built around a Delta 9" -- we tested and took back several in that size (9" 10") because of excessive vibration. So the key word in the above sentence is "tested" when buying used, make sure you are not saving the seller a trip to the dumpster. Take some hard wood and makes some cuts -- listen for bad bearings, watch to see that the blade is staying in the guides.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 pm

I found a craiglist older Craftsman 12", with a cabinet for $150 and it has worked very well; I can resaw 5" boards. The thing is - really take the time to set a bandsaw up properly and it will surprise you with what it can do.
If you can buy it from someone that knows the machine and will demonstrate it, all the better.
-Under permanent construction

Paul C

Post by Paul C » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:16 am

The size of your band saw really depends on how wide wide you want to make the sides of the guitar that you are making and also the back. So get one that can cut at least 8 in. That covers Back and sides. And also if you are seriously thinking about building a guitar get a kit from kmg. You will not be disappointed.