#7 Black limba and Lutz spruce Dread Finished!!!

Show us how your current project is progressing
ken cierp

Re: #7 Black limba and Lutz spruce Dread Finished!!!

Post by ken cierp » Mon May 07, 2012 11:02 am

Great clamping set-up -- good thinking!

What kind of glue?

"The Christmas Story" for sure the funniest movie ever made -- in my personal top five movies of all time. For those that have not it is a must see!!!

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Mon May 07, 2012 11:13 am

Tim,
Thanks for the tip! I may do another in the future so I will probably get one.

Ken,
I used TiteBond original. Left it clamped for about 8 hours but only because it was the last thing I clamped before I went to bed! In the morning, I unclamped it and picked up the box by the bridge to test it out. I would call it a success at this point.
I usually make sure I have a good joint when I clamp my bridges, but this time, I made sure it sat perfectly all around. On a Martin style bridge, I can fudge it a smidge since your clamp allows me to force the wings down if they are not mating 100% with the top. For this one, I wanted a perfect joint. NO excuses or exceptions. Plus, the wings are stout on this bridge per Somogyi's logic that it will help with transferring side to side rocking of the bridge to the soundboard, thus resulting in more gooder sounds from the guitar. (More gooder is a highly technical term I just applied to this situation, I did not invent the term.)

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Mon May 07, 2012 2:05 pm

I thought "more gooder" was the Southern expression and "gooderest" was the Northern expression. You got some Southern blood running through those veins?
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

Kyle Barbour

Post by Kyle Barbour » Mon May 07, 2012 3:49 pm

Tony thanks for sharing your moment of panic. It's reassuring to know that somebody who make such beautiful guitars makes the same kind of goofy mistakes I make.
Kyle

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon May 07, 2012 4:27 pm

Nice bridge design Tony. And I'm happy for you that your measurements turned out to be correct! We are all anxious to see how this one sounds in one of your famous You Tube videos!

Kevin

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Tue May 08, 2012 9:50 am

Kyle,
Happy to share my moment of stupidity! I know for a fact that I am not the only person who does things like that!

I will more than likely make a video of this guitar. I think I have to at this point. It's becoming expected!
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I appreciate the positive comments!

Tony

Brian Itzkin

Post by Brian Itzkin » Tue May 08, 2012 8:08 pm

looks nice, tony. The different colour ball ends of strings on D'addario's drive me crazy though :D