00 Sitka / Hawaiian Koa falcate steel string.

Show us how your current project is progressing
John Parchem

Re: 00 Sitka / Hawaiian Koa falcate steel string.

Post by John Parchem » Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:33 pm

I have been making progress, figured it was time to update this thread. Before closing the box I spent some time building a few components. I cut and planed a fret board I had and bound it with some ebony bindings basically making a faux faux bound fretboard.

I found a cool block of Brazilian rosewood, so I laid it up with a sheet of carbon fiber and carved it on my CNC. I liked both bridges but I like the second one (on the bottom) better.

I also used the CNC to cut out a wedge.

I used a chisel to cut out the waste.

Now I am ready to close everything up.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:04 am

John, the photos and the comments please me no end. Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to share them with us. (Im)patiently waiting for more...
Peter Havriluk

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:15 pm

I concurr with Peter. I appreciate your posting your builds John. They are always inspiring! Thank you

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:24 pm

I have the guitar body bound. I have to say that binding is my least favorite part of the process. Especially with a Venetian cutaway.

I used my side bender to bend the bindings. That went OK. I have form for the cutaway. The biggest issue is getting the cutaway binding out without the spring steel blow up the binding. No issue this time.

I am going to use two black white black purflings matching the outer rings of the rosette, This are bendable without heat is left separate; but I had the bright idea of gluing them up on the bending form. Once the glue cures the purfling laminate will hole its shape. My thought is that when gluing on the binding and purfling it will be easier to glue them to the guitar. It most worked out ok.

Before cutting the binding channels I leveled the sides. It just took a quick sanding as the sides originally bent with no cupping.

Cutting the binding channels went well this time. I sharpened the binding bits to get a clean cut.

I did spend some time to make sure that the bindings fit and decided to to start on the cutaway side first. I had to cut the rebate for the cutaway side to neck join.

I thought it went OK but there must of been a place where the putfling did not go in all the way on the cutaway. Unfortunately when planing the purfling part of it cut out. No big deal. I used a heat gun and carefully pulled the purfling out. Cleaned up the channel and tapped in a couple of new BWB purflings. All and all it came out good.

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:55 pm

Apropos of nothing of value: I've never seen anyone else using a X-acto miter box - - - ever!

More importantly, thanks again for the build photos and comments.
Peter Havriluk

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:57 pm

peter havriluk wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:55 pm Apropos of nothing of value: I've never seen anyone else using a X-acto miter box - - - ever!

More importantly, thanks again for the build photos and comments.
Thank you, but doesn't everyone use the X-acto miter box. I use it to cut or miter the ends of the bindings. Before guitars I restored my wife's childhood doll house that he grandfather made. It was perfect for all the trim work. So I had one around.