Super Simple band-saw fence

Saws, Sanders, Drill Press etc. nice to have -- must have
ken cierp

Super Simple band-saw fence

Post by ken cierp » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:16 pm

The band-saw fences that came with our machines are frankly, a little "Mickey Mouse" without exception they tend to move just a fraction out of position when they are clamped - so a re-adjust and re-clamp is necessary -- a PITA. Plus I really think the best way to re-saw is to have the veneer on the out-side of the blade once it cut rather then pinned against the fence -- in other words with this set-up the the squared edge is always riding the fence and the fence is indexed toward the pre-set stop to make consistent thickness cuts. The two little toggle clamps keep the fence locked in position and do not tend to push the fence one way or the other. I believe the pictures are self explanatory ---- you'll need to drill and tap some holes in the table.

ken cierp

Re: Super Simple band-saw fence

Post by ken cierp » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:17 pm

The main advantage of this type of fence set-up is the ability to re-saw material and produce perfect vertical grain blanks
Correct the run-out if any then plane the edge -- this is now the guide through-out the process

Tilt the table to match the grain trim off the waste piece
Set the stop block to the desired thickness
After each cut move the fence and the work piece until it hits the stop -- re-clamp the fence and cut away -- every piece will be a uniform thickness and since the fence is a positive locating smooth guide there is no chance of inadvertently sawing a curve into the blanks.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 pm

I like that a LOT - unfortunately it was posted one day after I spent $17.50 on a device from Rockler that sits in the t-track of the bandsaw table and is adjustable to allow the cutting process that you show in these pix. Maybe I can send it back!! Yours is elegant and simple and sturdier as well.
-Under permanent construction

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:36 am

I like that Rockler accessory -- I might purchase one

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:16 am

In case anyone is wondering what the Rockler accessory is, here's a pic.
Attachments
36833-01-200.jpg
36833-01-200.jpg (76.52 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
-Under permanent construction

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:04 pm

I purchased one of these Rockler guides. -- I like it better then my set-up. The way it locks into the miter gage slot is really cool. I have an idea for a tall fence for resawing that will work on the same principle. -- Thanks Dave.

dave d

Post by dave d » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:25 pm

The fence that came with my bandsaw was awful. I found the Kreg fence with re-saw guide to be vastly superior. But you needn't spend the $120 or so on that if you don't want. A nice article on a shop-made point fence is at https://www.wwgoa.com/articles/one-grea ... -resawing/