I want to build an Archtop...

Things that matter and not -- Just keep it wholesome
Dave Bagwill

Re: I want to build an Archtop...

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun May 12, 2019 12:23 pm

I would love to hear a mic'ed clip of that guitar's sound.
-Under permanent construction

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun May 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Reading some reviews of the Benedetto book, I see a number of comments saying that it is not a thorough 'how-to' book, and also that a number of fixtures are used but never previously mentioned or detailed. Is that accurate?
Robbie's course is just too expensive for me, so I'll be looking for more of a step by step manual, but I'm not at all certain that there is anything out there.

Rick Milliken

Post by Rick Milliken » Wed May 15, 2019 11:40 pm

The book, by itself, is not a complete guide. The plans filled in a lot of blanks. If I hadn’t built any instruments before I would have had some head scratching moments. They market a video by Benedetto that I didn’t get, but expect it covers some of the missing things, but....??

The Richard Heeres videos helped, especially in the construction of the neck.

I had made a violin and done some repairs on them and older archtops so that provided a starting point.

I thought that the instructions in the book on making templates, guides and assembly jigs were only fair.

The chapter on plate carving again, only fair. There are some excellent violin making videos on YouTube that really provide great insights into plate carving (David Sora is particularly good).

I created a guide for doing the fretboard by combining several folks ideas. And, there were multiple jigs for the neck that really were glossed over. The book assumes access to some router jigs (neck dovetail etc) that aren’t universal and doesn’t provide much in the way of alternatives.

Again, The chapter on binding assumes equipment not everyone has, without really much discussion of alternatives.

For someone who has made flattops a lot of the things the I found difficult will be familiar already.

Final setup, again just missing some details, clearances at nut, heights for bridge.

I’d still recommend the book and the plans, with the cautionary notes that you’re going to have to figure some things out on your own. I’ve certainly scoured for alternatives but have yet to find much else.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat May 18, 2019 4:13 pm

Having read through a couple of very good and detailed build logs, I will honestly say that I am not up to it.
But I am up to either a solid-wood or laminated Harmony archtop, and am seeking plans/specs/methods for doing that. If y'all have any sources for those things please let me know.
Carved archtop builders are gods.

By the way I found this pdf on top carving:
https://www.liutaiomottola.com/PrevPubs ... rching.pdf

And downloadable plans for a parlor archtop:
https://www.liutaiomottola.com/instruments/girasoli.htm

Edit 5/20 - a very good friend of mine - Rick Bills - who is also a wealth of information on Harmony's and many other acoustics, has corrected me on one issue in my post above - it turns out that ALL acoustic Harmony guitars were solid wood, no laminates at all. Only the electric archtops were laminated.

dave d

Post by dave d » Sat May 18, 2019 9:34 pm

Wow Rick, that's beautiful! Thanks everyone for your very insightful advice, the links, and your help overall. It is sure nice to see that the friendly forum that Ken got going is still going strong here.