What is the best way to make a oil finish satin?

Tools and techniques

Moderator: Dave Bagwill

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
Herman

What is the best way to make a oil finish satin?

Post by Herman » Tue May 29, 2018 12:45 pm

The baritone I am building has to get a Tru-oil neck finish, but it has to be satin/as natural as can be.
What can I use in the final stage
-fine steelwool
-fine sandpaper 2000#
-someting else like sandblasting or so -;)
Herman

Dave Bagwill

Re: What is the best way to make a oil finish satin?

Post by Dave Bagwill » Tue May 29, 2018 3:24 pm

I've had luck with steel wool. Better luck with that white scotch pad.
-Under permanent construction

Rick Milliken

Post by Rick Milliken » Tue May 29, 2018 10:32 pm

Another vote for scotch brite pads. I use grey with a little tru-oil or boiled linseed oil for lube. I did try tripoli and rottenstone as well, but liked the results with scotch brite pads best.

I haven’t found steel wool that is good quality for a while.

Herman

Post by Herman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:36 am

Thanks guys,
I'll try the pad
Herman

Binthe6

Post by Binthe6 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:34 am

Dave Bagwill wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:24 pm I've had luck with steel wool. Better luck with that white scotch pad.
Dave, with using the white scotch pad for satin finish, is it best to wait about a week until the finish is cured or after drying but while the finish is still uncured? Dry or with some kind of a lube? Thanks for all of your contribution in this forum.

Binthe6

Post by Binthe6 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:39 pm

Rick Milliken wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:32 pm Another vote for scotch brite pads. I use grey with a little tru-oil or boiled linseed oil for lube. I did try tripoli and rottenstone as well, but liked the results with scotch brite pads best.

I haven’t found steel wool that is good quality for a while.
Check this steel wool : https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/to ... steel-wool

Good option for Scotch Brite type abrasive pads (scroll for grits available) : https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... em=08K0313

AND 3M (white) rubbing pads BUT may no long be available. : https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... bbing-pads