Polishing nitro finish

Pore filling -- application methods -- schedules

Moderator: dhlutherie

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
Jon Heimbruch

Polishing nitro finish

Post by Jon Heimbruch » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi All. I have wet sanded to a 1500 grit.The surface is ready to polish. I am looking for a high gloss finish. It is already pretty glossy but need some advice on the best way to rub it out. What polish to use and how to apply it would be very helpful. Thanks. Jon

ken cierp

Re: Polishing nitro finish

Post by ken cierp » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:12 am

I use Wizard's, Finish Cut followed with Master Shine --- hand rubbed or RO buffer.

However these days I am really liking the "Flat" finish look even more than "Satin" --- problem with both is that an invisible repair requires spraying an additional coat.

dave d

Post by dave d » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:59 am

On my KMG HD-28 I used Menzerna's polishing compounds. If memory serves, I applied it by hand first in a circular pattern and then with the grain, moving through the grades from coarse to medium to fine (different cloth each time of course!) and then a final polish with their liquid. This was the result.
HD-28 017.JPG
HD-28 017.JPG (81.84 KiB) Viewed 2007 times
By the way, for how many days have you let the lacquer cure? I've heard a range of durations, from 12-30 days, depending on the specific product that was used.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:32 am

Dave -- what are the coatings used on that guitar?