Bob Taylor video on sourcing spruce

Wood choice logic, brace shapes, braces patterns -- what and why for the "heart of the guitar"
Eric Schaefer

Bob Taylor video on sourcing spruce

Post by Eric Schaefer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:03 pm

I think these were worth the watch. These 2 videos are a little old (from around 2007), but the concepts and methods here are very current. quarter grain and medullary rays are explained very well, and check out how that helicopter picks up wood from the forest floor! Looks kinda dicey!

Jay McClellan

Re: Bob Taylor video on sourcing spruce

Post by Jay McClellan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Eric, thanks for posting those. I will be doing something very similar soon, as I've lined up some local blue spruce trees that the property owner doesn't want and I can cut for guitar tops. The trees are not quite that big so I think I can get by with a smaller helicopter, or maybe just a wheelbarrow. :-) I won't get very wide wood from these trees and will probably have to make 4-piece tops but my goal is to build a guitar with all local wood just because I can, so I'll make the most of the materials I can get around here. The video was helpful in showing how to work around the knots etc. so I think with care - and probably way too much time - I can squeeze some decent tops out of these trees.
Jay McClellan
http://BrainRight.com