#7 Black limba and Lutz spruce Dread Finished!!!

Show us how your current project is progressing
Jackspt28

Re: #7 Black limba and Lutz spruce Dread

Post by Jackspt28 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Wow nice work! I hope to be building my first kit soon. I have decided on a kmg success kit for my first. Trying to decide on a dread or the 000 from Ken. I see you build some beautiful guitars. How long have you been building? I tried to pm you but couldn't as this is my first post. Hope to be able to scratch build after a few kits. Already purchased a nice Adirondack top for a future project. Collecting up some tools now, I have a nice workshop with a lot of stuff already as I have built radio controlled planes and jets for the past 20 years. I have been reading forums and buying books, hopefully this will turn into another great hobby. What guitar would you recommend to start with from Ken the dread or the OOO full success kits. Please excuse all the questions I'm a newbie at this. Thanks ,Jack.

Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:29 pm

Welcome, Jack, questions is what we're here for. As far as qhat you want to start with, it doesn't make a difference. What guitar do you want? Thats where you begin. The procedures are the same, regardless of the model....its the dimensions that change. The only thing that could impact your choice is if you wanted a cutaway or not....that can add some complexity, but not much. Have fun, keep askin, and keep postin. We like pictures!
So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Welcome, Jack!! The success kit is awesome and Ken Cierp is right there when you need him. We'll be here for you as well. I really enjoy watching someone's progress until they get better than me. :-)

Have a lot of fun!
-Under permanent construction

Jackspt28

Post by Jackspt28 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:26 pm

Wow ,thanks for the quick replies guys, I had been lurking here for a bit. Both of you guys build some awesome stuff as well. There is a lot of talent here! Glad to have a place to ask my many questions. I find myself looking ahead at tone woods, bindings and tools. My goal is to learn to build a couple kits, then progress to doing more myself like bending sides, building necks etc.. I m pretty sure I will do the 000 first,then maybe a cutaway dread for the second if things go well. Thanks again, jack.

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:24 am

Hey Jack,
Welcome to the forum! The guitar shape you choose should be based on what you like to play. Thanks for the compliments! I have been building for two years. Not long at all. Pick a kit and get going! My first two were kits, then I just had the sides bent, now Ken makes my necks and I do the rest. Eventually I will build necks too but not just yet! Good luck
Tony

Jackspt28

Post by Jackspt28 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:32 pm

I am more of a strummer, playing for about 5 years on and off, still learning but I do enjoy playing. I can tell I'm going to be hooked on building. I have a nice little shop with power tools, paint spraying equipment, Glues,epoxies etc. From my other hobbies(R/c planes/jets) and customized and painted my Harley Davidson. Thanks for the info, I'm sure I will have lots of questions. Thanks , Jack.

dave d

Post by dave d » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Welcome to the forum and the group of guitar-building afficianados Jack. Like you, I had been lurking for a while as I tried to get some education and decide what I wanted to build. I finally started out with Ken's kit just recently, so as a newbie I'm encountering a lot of the same situations that you may have questions about. Don't be shy about asking any questions in the forum or by PM.
cheers!