A hybrid method to obtain higher gloss.

Tools and techniques

Moderator: Dave Bagwill

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
Brian D

A hybrid method to obtain higher gloss.

Post by Brian D » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:36 pm

For my third guitar, http://www.acousticguitarconstructionfo ... =24&t=2371 I desired a glossier TruOil finish than my first two guitars. More sheen was the aim but not so much that I would berate myself for each inevitable scratch from everyday playing of the guitar. This was my initial untried process, so I’m certain some steps were unnecessary, I just don’t know yet which ones.

For the prep sanding of the body, I sanded up to 320 grit, always using a rigid 8” sanding block or PVC pipe. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/833902 ... Block.aspx
While sanding the more pliable top I tried to keep the ends of the sanding block over the braces and the outside edge to avoid introducing any depressions or ripples.

Then sealed with Zinnser Sealcoat.

Pore sealed B/S with Pore-O-Pac until most pores were filled, to leave a little character of the wood.

Began TO applications using method as in Dave Bagwell’s video http://www.acousticguitarconstructionfo ... ?f=28&t=88
Wanting to build up the thickness of finish, I used only very light pressure with the paper towel covered foam, to remove excess TO. After 2-3 hrs, I lightly scuffed surface with gray synthetic pad and repeated. After 10-12 coats it began to look thick enough to level.

From here on out sanding was wet-sanding with soapy water stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/Finishing/How-To/Online_Resources/Finishing/Wet-sand_before_buffing

I then leveled lightly, being nervous about sanding though the finish, using 600 grit paper on block. Then 1200, 2000 grit. Concerned about final thickness I decided even more TO would result in better protection and also give me a chance to improve on my first attempt at leveling. Repeating with 8 more coats I was ready to level and sand out again.

I then waited 6-7 days for finish to harden.
Using Micro-Mesh Soft Touch pads 3600-12000 brought sheen out nicely.

Buffing was the final step. I read where others had used Mequiar’s #7 Mirror Glaze or 3M Finesse-It II auto polish to polish guitars. I found the 3M at a local NAPA store. The final sheen emerged using a drill, an inexpensive cotton buff pad from HF, some elbow grease and the automobile polish.

Final thoughts: This hybrid process worked out well for me because:
- I don’t have the luxury of spray equipment or an area set up for spraying guitars.
- I can literally just set the body aside while waiting for each coat to dry and work on the neck.

Edit: However, in hindsight, I don't think I would repeat this whole process. I will either try another regular TO application and then finally finish with the higher grit micro-mesh and polish -or- try a brush-on varnish and research established sand and polish schedules.
Reflection.jpg (150.66 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
cutaway.jpg
cutaway.jpg (269.15 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
Last edited by Brian D on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Bagwill

Re: A hybrid method to obtain higher gloss.

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks Brian, interesting method and really nice results!
-Under permanent construction

John Link

Post by John Link » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:56 pm

That is a remarkably glossy look, especially for True Oil. Thanks for the details.
John

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:38 am

Good looking finish!