I Seek Plans For This Guitar (in love help help)

Things that matter and not -- Just keep it wholesome
Mark from Ashland

I Seek Plans For This Guitar (in love help help)

Post by Mark from Ashland » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:22 pm

Hello, esteemed luthier types,

I could use some help finding plans. This week I got to see a Martin down at my local music shop, Cripple Creek Music in Ashland, Oregon. Martin calls it a OOO, but as you know, that could mean most anything 'cept a dread. It's an old style, before the flattened upper bout (which I think of as the OM shape), and it looks and sounds incredible. Talk about character! Here be a pic that I found of a similar instrument. I have the Stewmac plans for a OOO, but they look all OM-y to me. Flattened upper bout, long scale. Can anyone direct me to a set of plans for a REAL OOO? I sure want to build one!

Regards,

Mark LaCoste
Somewhere in the wilds of Southern Oregon

ken cierp

Re: I Seek Plans For This Guitar (in love help help)

Post by ken cierp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:34 pm

Get the body length, LB width, and UB width and I can track it down. It looks a lot like a "00" size in the picture -- who made that instrument?

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:47 pm

Could be a 30's 12 fret 000 - the shoulders look a little sloped, unlike an OM. But I'm not a Martin expert.
WILDS in Southern Oregon? :-)
-Under permanent construction

Rick Aliwalas

Post by Rick Aliwalas » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 am

Looks like a Martin 000-45 : http://www.gruhn.com/features/00045/

Last edited by Rick Aliwalas on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mark from Ashland

Post by Mark from Ashland » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:10 am

Yes, yes, I think that's right on! The one in the picture was listed as Moonstone OOO-42, which was made in 2003. I will be in Ashland tomorrow, and if possible I will take a picture of the Martin triple Oh and determine the scale length. I really need some decent plans, as I am building with my brother, who is an expert woodworker and a STICKLER for accuracy. We've begun collecting wood for this, our second build, already.
Somewhere in the wilds of southern Oregon...

-Mark LaCoste

Mark from Ashland

Post by Mark from Ashland » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:15 am

Mr. Bagwill? Hello!

I am in the Colestin valley, west of I-5 on the south side of the Siskiyou pass. Hilt, CA is the closest town. I have followed your own exploits with some interest, given our proximity.

-mark
Somewhere in the wilds of southern Oregon...

-Mark LaCoste

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:27 am

There are some good plans that I downloaded at ultimateguitarbuilding.com. I took the pdf's to a print shop and had the full-scale prints in a few minutes. I think they did some real research on this.
The 1930 000 is considered by many to be the 'holy grail' of fingerpicking guitars. I attach a pic of my computer desktop that I find inspirational.
You can also check out http://www.earlymartin.com for a lot of pix and information.
Attachments
ooo.png
ooo.png (493.58 KiB) Viewed 1379 times
-Under permanent construction