#7 Black limba and Lutz spruce Dread Finished!!!

Show us how your current project is progressing
Dave Bagwill

Re: #7 Black limba and Lutz spruce Dread

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Nice.
-Under permanent construction

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks Dave!
I glued the top on last night at 2:30AM. My plan was to do it tonight but my 19 month old woke up and since it was my turn to take him, I decided he could help me. For some reason when he wakes up in the middle of the night he is very compliant. I told him to hand me rubber bands when I asked. He said OK and he followed my instructions perfectly!
I wish I had pics but it was late and I was tired so I didn't think of it. Maybe tonight he will wake me up at 2:00AM to glue on the back! I will take pics this time if he does!

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:34 am

Glued the top last night, cut it flush earlier tonight, and now the back is glued on and the glue is drying. And while I did say that I really like the full clamping caul that comes with the Success Kit, there is one draw back to using that method for me. I need to use a cordless drill to get all of the screws mostly snugged down. Why is that a problem? Because I am working in my house and my kids are sleeping! So, I used another method to glue the top and back this time around. Rubber bands. The Success Kit comes with these little blocks that are used to shim the box in the mold so you can glue the top and back using the full body clamping caul, and if you are me, shim the box really high so you can route your binding and purfling channels and flush cut the top and back. I also shim the box up about midway in the mold so I can get more leverage on the edges with the rubber bands. Here is a picture:

That's all for tonight. Thanks for looking!

Tony

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

The box is closed and the back has been trimmed flush.

Last night I dug through my stash to see what I could use for a fretboard, bridge and headplate veneer. I came up with this ziricote I picked up a while ago:

Also in the pic are the bindings. They are also black limba and are a very good color match to the back and sides. Still have not decided on the purfling scheme, but I will soon.
Thanks for looking!

Tony

David L

Post by David L » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 pm

That Ziricote will look nice with the Limba!!!

David L

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks! That's what I was hoping!

Brian Itzkin

Post by Brian Itzkin » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Tony, If you want to try something different for the purfling scheme, you could try something like what Colin does. Using the wood instead of marquetry for purfling looks really nice.