Any experience/thoughts on this HF 12" disc sander?

Saws, Sanders, Drill Press etc. nice to have -- must have
Jon Heimbruch

Re: Any experience/thoughts on this HF 12" disc sander?

Post by Jon Heimbruch » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:27 am

Hi All. I am in the market for a sander but do not know which would be the most useful for guitar building. The Rigid really does sound like a great value and as Ken has stated it is a spindle. I am wondering though if a combination disk belt sander may be the way to go. I do not have the shop space or the money to buy more than 1 sander so I would really appreciate comments on which one would be the best choice. I should mention that at this point I am building kits but would like to scratch build in the future.Thanks. Jon

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Well as far as I am concerned in the wood working trades, like clamps you can never have enough sanding machines! I'd comment that I don't think a disk/belt combo sander can do anything that Rigid oscillating/belt/spindle can't do as well or better. We'll see what the others think.

Jon Heimbruch

Post by Jon Heimbruch » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:01 pm

After reading some of the other posts and your recommendation Ken it sounds like the
rigid would be the way to go. Honestly I am not that familiar with sanders so I am all ears.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri May 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Ok, I've used the Rigid oscillating sander for a few months now, and I would totally DIE if someone took it away!!
Well maybe not die, but I've gotta say, I use that thing a LOT and like it very much and would indeed miss it were it to be stolen some dark night by a gang of drug fiends.
A very good investment in a tool IMHO.
-Under permanent construction

Ray Ussery

Post by Ray Ussery » Fri May 23, 2014 3:21 pm

Kevin in California wrote:4" is good. I don't have a smidgeon of bench top space left, but I could put something like that on a shelf and bring it out when I need it. I wish I had MORE SPACE.
Kevin, why not build a flip-top "Rotator"...if you know what I mean, where you can "Roll" the router over and bring up the sander.... the when you need the router you can bring it up with a half a turn...you don't need a big wide table if you only use the router for the neck...doesn't take up any more space...I have space issues also and some things just have to double up.. :)
Here's some ideas...some are even using the Rigid....no reason the router can't be adapted here with it.....There are plans all over the net if you need under "Flip Top" tool stand... .02

https://www.google.com/search?q=flip+to ... 93&bih=434

Blessings,
Ray

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Fri May 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Thanks Ray. I am familiar with that type of cart and it would be a good idea if..............
see all my stuff is mounted or setting on stationary benches, and I don't have room for another rolling cart. I rarely use my table saw, so perhaps I can come up with a rotator cart with that thing on it. Then I could put something I use all the time in the "up" position. I'll have to think on that one.

Ray Ussery

Post by Ray Ussery » Fri May 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Kevin in California wrote:Thanks Ray. I am familiar with that type of cart and it would be a good idea if..............
see all my stuff is mounted or setting on stationary benches, and I don't have room for another rolling cart. I rarely use my table saw, so perhaps I can come up with a rotator cart with that thing on it. Then I could put something I use all the time in the "up" position. I'll have to think on that one.
Everything I have is on wheels...there are advantages and disadvantages...sometimes I move stuff around to get room to use some item in an easier manner...
HOWEVER...wheels are not as stable as sitting flat on the floor.. MOST of my wheels are on stand adapters that will drop item to the floor for a stable sitting...expensive...but not that bad really...I hear you on the table saw...mine is bagged so it would be hard to rotate...and it is also the solid stable surface for my thickness sander...actually I use it the top for a lot of stuff.. I should have waited and bought the Rigid but I didn't have the $200 to throw around at the time and got my spindle sander for $80 I think from HF...has been great! Not as versatile as the Rigid...but a good tool...I need a
router table and may double up with my 6" disc/belt.
I have a number of Rigid tools and they are ALL on the money!

Later,
Ray

(Sorry for getting off topic Dave...I don't have a 12" no room...but I've used one ummmm maybe 4 years ago...HF...but you know how they change their stuff....not sure it would be the same...but it worked well and the guy used the heck out of it!)