#7 Black limba and Lutz spruce Dread Finished!!!

Show us how your current project is progressing
TonyinNYC

Re: #7 Black limba and Lutz spruce Dread

Post by TonyinNYC » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:35 am

Last year, I built three guitars, like I am doing this year. However, last year, I completed each box before moving to the next one. This year, I am building more like a production line, so I will complete one part of the guitar and then move on to another. A few weeks ago I finished three rims:

Tonight, I completed the third back for the three rims:

Now I need to complete the third soundboard. Unfortunately, I have already glued one top to a rim so there will be no picture of three soundboards. I apologize. I was not thinking clearly when I did the glue up.

That's all for tonight!

Tony

osgoor

Post by osgoor » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:58 am

So Tony, are you trying to do build as a full time job or is this just for fun? What do you do with the ones you build? Please PM me as I have other questions.

Rick

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:59 pm

osgoor wrote:So Tony, are you trying to do build as a full time job or is this just for fun? What do you do with the ones you build? Please PM me as I have other questions.

Rick
I started building for fun, fell in love with it and can't seem to stop! Fortunately, when people see my guitars, they want one so I have gotten some commissions. Two of the three here are commissions. I do not want to do this for a living, but I do want people to buy the guitars I make or my wife will shoot me when the house is full of guitars! She does not find them to be "decorative wall art" as I have tried to convince her they can be! My real job is working for a bank.
PM sent by the way.

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Tony you work is really clean. We are talking three really nice looking guitars. I am amazed that you can do three at once. You must have a really good level organization to keep track of everything and find a place for three in progress guitars.

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks John. I am actually very disorganized! Plus, I have to glue in the house since my garage isnt heated. So at any given time, right this moment for example, there are two rims, two soundboards and a back plate in the house. Everything else is outside. I bought two of the necks for these three and I am making one. I am also making the fretboards and pretty much everything else too. What I try to do is to keep the parts for each guitar in their own place, but with all the moving in and out of the house, things can get mixed up, so I also number things if I think I might forget what goes with what! If I had the whole garage to use for storage and lutherie supplies, I could get better organized. As it is, I am sharing space with a vintage mustage (1964 and a half, first model year) a snowblower, lawn mower, and well...anything my wife doesnt want in the house. So it is pretty cramped. Here is a pic looking in from the door. I cleaned up a bit for the pic(no I didnt).

Pretty sweet set up, no?
OK. Some people have it worse, I admit, but my situation is certainly not my idea of a great work space!!

osgoor

Post by osgoor » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:30 pm

Tony,

Got your PM but I dont have enough posts to be able to reply. Maybe a nice mod will find a way to help me out. wink wink

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:58 pm

5 posts and you can't PM? Email Ken Cierp.