DISASTER - HELP!!!

Tools and techniques

Moderator: Dave Bagwill

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
Matt Fisher

DISASTER - HELP!!!

Post by Matt Fisher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:36 am

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (44.9 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
A terrible thing has happened this weekend! Any advice would be greatly appreciated:

I just finished my first Martin-type 0-12 guitar in December, despite a few small imperfections it plays and sounds fantastic. It is a tru-oil finish on Indian RW back and sides.

I came in yesterday morning and my wife announced that "something terrible has happened!". The culprit was a lamp (one I particularly hate) with very sharp corners on the base, which fell off the piece of furniture it was on. The guitar was standing in the corner next to it innocently minding it's own business, when the lamp went crashing into it inflicting significant damage to the bass-side rib. It's a small puncture wound in the upper bout area and a few other scratches that I could probably live with if it wasn't for the main damage (see pic).
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (44.9 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
I'm pretty sure I can patch it from the inside to stop the crack spreading once I get the strings off but I'm not sure if I can improve the look cosmetically. I don't know what sort of filler would be appropriate, if any, and would it stick to the tru-oil finish?

I don't think rosewood dust and glue would work as it has a tendency to go a bit pink but I was thinking maybe a bit of ebony in there too to darken it. Maybe sanding it after and reapplying the tru-oil to finish?

Any advice would be helpful in this time of tragedy. Or maybe a little sympathy.....

ken cierp

Re: DISASTER - HELP!!!

Post by ken cierp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:06 pm

This is the process I'd use and have used. You can blend the shellac sticks to get a grain pattern and color match. Drizzle some CA in the crack before hand to help prevent further along the grain cracking.

John Link

Post by John Link » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:21 pm

Matt - you have my sympathy. I keep gits in cases but am always tempted to display them. They are one of the most beautiful objects ever created by our culture. You have just experienced the downside of display.

As far as the fill Ken suggests goes: Make it darker than the surrounding wood rather than lighter, if you can't get a dead match. To put it another way, match the darkest wood that it will touch, not the lightest. The eye is more sensitive to light spots than dark ones in a field that is essentially dark, as is the case in your unfortunate instrument. Apparently the pupil dilates to accommodate the low light level so any invasion by a light area is especially noticeable, while something a little dark melts into the field. Or maybe the brain dilates - I'm no physiologist, but I've worked with color for a long time.

One consolation, you are going to notice the repair 5 or 10 times more than anyone else will.
John

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:10 pm

If you have an old tuner you can make a jig that will pull the wood to line up the cracks in the wood. Tru-oil is pretty forgiving so you can sand that area down if needed. Fill the smaller cracked areas with RW dust and CA and Ken's method for the larger areas. Re-apply the TO and it will be almost unnoticeable. If you PM me your email I'll send you the plans to make the crack alignment jig.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

Ron Belanger

Post by Ron Belanger » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:43 pm

It looks like there's a dent as well as the cracks. I would align the cracks first, then use a wet cloth and a hot iron to raise the dented wood, then proceed to gluing, leveling and retouching the finish. Be patient and take your time to think through each step. And remember, as I have also learned from hard experience, the best place for your guitar when you are not playing it is in its case.

Matt Fisher

Post by Matt Fisher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks guys, I hadn't actually considered CA and was thinking of other glues so I'll go for that. I like the idea of the hot iron to raise the dent as well. I may be able to push it out a little from the inside too. Will post results when I get a chance to do it.

Time to get this little git a hard case....

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:07 pm

Matt - that's a very nice TO finish. Could you share your method? Pore filling, application, buffing?
Thanks
Dave
-Under permanent construction