Ladder-braced parlor guitar

Show us how your current project is progressing
Dave Bagwill

Re: Ladder-braced parlor guitar

Post by Dave Bagwill » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:21 pm

I wanted to use a side port, because I had not used one before; plus, since the neck was a bolt-on, I needed access. The port is large enough for my hand, and works fine. It is twice as large as normal ports but then again, those guitars usually have a 4" soundhole in the top.
The cat reminds me who is the REALLY important 'person' in the shop.
-Under permanent construction

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Great build by the way. Ok makes sense to me. Plus you can hide your stash in ther also. Ditto on the cat. I have a cat. It lives in and around my carport. It's name is " HEY" get the xxxx off my car and take your paw prints with you. I love my cat if I could catch it I would live it and squeeze it and hug it. You get the idea. Did I tell you it was black? Actually it's a series of cats they take turns sitting on my cars with their muddy feets. Lol

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:00 pm

It's 11:00 a.m. PST - the strings will be on before 11:30. If you don't hear from me again, it's been a blessing knowing you guys. If you do hear from me again, all is well, and you can forget about the whole 'blessing' thing. :-)

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Now that's funny Dave :0)

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:09 pm

All is well - first impression, wow is it different from an x-braced guitar. Not better or worse, just different. Very loud and up-front.
I've got some intonation to do but other than that pretty much home free.

BTW the friend I built it for gets his strings online at webstrings. A few bucks a set, and they sound and feel real good. He likes the phosphor-bronze 11-50's, and for a lite string, they do shake the box real well.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:19 pm

It's a done deal and will get shipped out Monday.
The trebles are really really nice, and sing up and down the neck. The bass is there, but I'm suggesting to Rick - my buddy - that he bumps up from .050" to .053/4" to balance out the trebles. He is still recovering from life-threatening illnesses and operations and has not got full strength back yet, so he does need the lighter strings; I'm hoping that the heavier bass string will not be a problem.

In any case, I'm going to start another ladder-braced one next week. I'll be using a KMG 00-12 body style.
BTW I wanted Rick to hear the guitar before anyone else, so I've asked him to make a clip as soon as he is able and I will post it here.

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Good for you Dave. Looking forward to not only hearing this build but your next one as well