Engelmann Spruce Top and Honduran Mahogany B&S

Show us how your current project is progressing
TonyinNYC

Re: Engelmann Spruce Top and Honduran Mahogany B&S

Post by TonyinNYC » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:01 am

That is some pretty wood. Looks great with some finish on it!

Bob Moore

Post by Bob Moore » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:03 pm

Tony and Kevin, thanks for your nice words. Kevin, I've used Emtech 6000 before, but not with the Zpoxy. I was using Target's HSF5100 and knew absolutely nothing about pore filling - was on my first guitar. Nor was I good with leveling the finish then. The guitar came out pretty well, and is now about 4 years old. I'm happy with the finish from that one. The only places that show wear are the black plastic bindings which were fairly sharp corners. There's some discoloration and wear along those edges. The rest is still pretty good. This time, I think, my leveling and pore filling have gone very well. I'm using cocobolo for bindings vice the plastic, and have rounded over the edges. Tony was a great help with his videos on sanding and leveling the finish, as was Todd Stock's set of videos on pore filling. It's going to be hard to wait the 100-150 hours after spraying the neck to put the guitar together.

Finally I got some time to make some progress on this thing. Work has been the busiest I've seen in 15 years here. Plus, I had to wait for the logo a very long time. Also, the thought of shaping the neck overwhelmed me at first.

I don't have any experience in doing this, so it was intimidating. But I just finally gritted it out and got it done.

First pic is the headstock after attaching it to the neck. Doing the routing was somewhat straightforward even though I thought I had goofed it up. Ebony dust has become my greatest friend. Andy DePaule emailed me a 1:1 scale of the inlay that was being sent, and recommended printing it, then super-gluing the paper to the headstock where I wanted it to go. That was probably better than trying to etch it out with an Xacto knife, but still was a bit hard to see. It worked, however, and looks pretty good.

First pic is the headstock being glued up, and the second is sanded, ready to spray tomorrow.

I had hoped for a totally black ebony head plate, but the wisping, smokey look going up the right side of this piece is catching my attention. I like it.

Here's the neck with a coat of Zpoxy pore filler, after being shaped the best that I can. I really like the wide neck heel. I capped it with some white fiber and a piece of cocobolo.

As I said, tomorrow and Monday, I'll spray the neck. Last Monday I had cataract surgery, and this Monday I'll have the 2nd eye done. I've taken the time between as a bit of vacation. My first in 13 months. While the finish sets up on the neck, I'll start sanding the body, and polishing it to be ready to fit things together.

One question for the real luthiers here. Do you recommend drilling the tuner holes before or after finishing the neck? If you do it first, do you wet sand any - and how do you protect the raw wood inside the holes?

Thanks for viewing,
Bob

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Well Bob, all of us are "real" luthiers

lu·thi·er
noun:
luthier; plural noun: luthiers 1. a maker of stringed instruments such as violins or guitars.

Somehow that unwarranted "ego" thing got in the equation and elevated the term.

I'll dig up my Martin factory photos I seem to remember they driil first. That's what I do, no mask. A light ream after finish to re-size the holes.

Oh -- I see that you have masked the edge of the fingerboard -- usually the finish goes on the FB edge too.

Bob Moore

Post by Bob Moore » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Ken, thanks for the advice on the holes. Yesterday evening when I was taping up the fretboard, I got to thinking about that. I intended to re-visit it today, but probably would have forgot if you hadn't mentioned it. I'll be changing that momentarily.
I also bow to your definition of Luthier. Sometimes self deprecation needs to end, doesn't it? Although I'm not as accomplished as many others, I'm on that road, and getting better each time. My self esteem just went up 10 points, thanks. :)
Your advice came very timely, as I'm about to head out to spray.
Bob

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:32 pm

It's looking good to me Bob keep it up. Your doing fine I think. I agree we always downplay our abilities.

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:48 pm

Drill those holes before finishing Bob. When you wet sand, just don't get carried away with the water around the holes. If a little drips in it will dry up and not be a problem. Just don't pour a glass full over your headstock!!!!!!! :>)
Looking very nice.

Kevin

Bob Moore

Post by Bob Moore » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Ha Ha, Kevin. I'll ease up.
I did drill the holes, and they came out fine. Started finishing today with about 5 coats, spread out in time. I'll level them off tomorrow, and do another 4-5. Depending on how that goes, I'll stop or put 2-3 on Tuesday. If it levels well by Tue morning, I'll just put one last one on.
It's getting so close, I'm getting antsy.
Lonnie, I appreciate what you said. Thanks much.