Ladder-braced parlor guitar

Show us how your current project is progressing
Dave Bagwill

Re: Ladder-braced parlor guitar

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:39 pm

I've had some extra time, and getting the box together is not that time-consuming.
-Under permanent construction

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Could you show me or explain how you made that Troji? Is that what it's called?

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:58 pm

Couple of 3"-4" boards - I used some throw-aways from an old shop stand - cut to the width of your table. Stop blocks glued or screwed to the bottom of the boards. Screws and a means of tightening them, one on each end. Carpet taped onto any surface that will touch the wood, including wrapped around the screws and taped. That is about it. It does not have to be tightened much to hold the guitar steady. Foam is probably a better choice than carpet, but the carpet grabs fine with just a little pressure.
It's not as good as some of the others on the forum, by far, but it does work and takes up little space.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:05 pm

The little drawknife is actually called a 'contour plane' at Lee Valley. Here's the link:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... 50230&ap=1

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Thanks man. I have some 1x6 red oak that I think I could make one out of. I will make it adjustable as well. Would a nice Suede Leather work as protection? I have some and cover everything that comes into contact with my guitars in it.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:16 pm

I don't know about suede.

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:25 pm

Ok I'll use a foam under the suede. That should work good. I like the looks of the leather on the wood as I normally put a nice shiny finish on things like that. My wife likes it when I do things like that. Now another question. You posted a link to where the spoke shaves were. Now when I bought my thickness planer. It needed new blades. I bought it from a friend. He changed the blades out for me. But he brought me the old ones and said you might want them as scrapers. Man they are so awesome you can take a heavy curl or a smaller one depending on the pressure you apply. Do you find yourself using those small shaves much? Or would what I'm using suffice? It's a guess I know.