Martin 00 cutaway with arm bevel #12 so close

Show us how your current project is progressing
John Parchem

Re: Martin 00 12 Fret - cutaway with arm bevel #12

Post by John Parchem » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:29 am

Tim Benware wrote:I think I know the answer to this question but wouldn't it have been easier to cut it down before gluing it in or were you unsure of how big it needed to be seeing that it was your first one?
Yes it would have been easier and smarter... I was unsure where I wanted the bevel in the top to end, so I worked the top and then sized it.

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:11 am

Very cool John. I have been considering a bevel for a while, but have not made time to try one. This is fun to watch.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Here's another approach for construction of the armrest feature -- not sure its any easier

http://kfguitars.blogspot.com/2012/07/m ... aking.html

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Very interesting. Never seen this before. I've seen the leather armrests that are put on guitars but never built in as such. Nice photo's and subject by the way.

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:49 pm

Little by little I am making progress, on this guitar. To get in practice for my retirement I been taking a bunch of saved up vacation time and have been traveling. I am about ready to close the box on this guitar. I am throwing caution to the wind on this instrument. Although this is a 00 with the arm bevel the top is closer to the size of an 0 guitar so I braced it more like an 0 with a single tone bar. Also following the Gore\Gilet Contemporary Guitar design I am trying an active back. Once the guitar is together I may need to tune the back so that it is not in conflict with the top. The back is Hawaiian Koa. With its thickness and the bracing it is a very lively back with a good tap tone and feel. I also routed in an oval sound port. Basically the works: Arm bevel, Sound Port, cutaway, active back ... We shall see how it turns out. This one is for me so I can play with no stress.

From my 2nd guitar I had a bunch of BRW strips perfect for the side supports.

My first really tight joint at the correct angle!

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:58 pm

Before I glue on the top I make sure that the rims are correctly profiled so that when the top is glued to the rims I have the correct angle for the fret board extension. I like to be able to roll a 2.5 mm drill bit under the straight edge and have it stop at the saddle location. Like in the picture.
Attachments
Martin00 (120).jpg
Martin00 (120).jpg (240.82 KiB) Viewed 3200 times

Lonnie B

Post by Lonnie B » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:52 pm

Nice job John. That angle is something I'm going to be experiencing soon. Got some odd jobs done around the house. Actually I have a friend that is sort of a handyman jack of all trades. So I give him a little extra spending money and he helps me a lot. The things I can no longer do because of health reasons. But I've got the wife kinda settled and am going to be able to finish my sander then I can start my build. Everything kinda caught me at one time. But I like that roll the drill bit trick .