My new Wagner Safe-T-Planer Setup...

Saws, Sanders, Drill Press etc. nice to have -- must have
rusty999

Re: My new Wagner Safe-T-Planer Setup...

Post by rusty999 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:40 pm

Go to 0.45 on this video and you will see a simple and easily made jig thats suitable for use with the wagner type planer. The circles cut at the back help prevent build up of chips and sawdust and allow the heads cut more easily with getting clogged

Ask me if you need any further info
Good Luck
Thanks

Ray Ussery

Post by Ray Ussery » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:35 am

Daniel P wrote:Hopefully the images work this time.

This appears to be the "Duro Tools" planer as apposed to the Woodtek 24-760 with the voids (Other than center) The Duro Tools planer is about $54 while the Woodtek is $40.....from what I hear, read and observe the Duro Tools model is worth the extra $14 bucks and also comes with a sharping wheel...E-bay shipping is $5.95...apparently is doesn't have problems like the Woodtek with some woods....just saying :>)

Daniel P

Post by Daniel P » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 am

RayRay wrote:
Daniel P wrote:Hopefully the images work this time.

This appears to be the "Duro Tools" planer as apposed to the Woodtek 24-760 with the voids (Other than center) The Duro Tools planer is about $54 while the Woodtek is $40.....from what I hear, read and observe the Duro Tools model is worth the extra $14 bucks and also comes with a sharping wheel...E-bay shipping is $5.95...apparently is doesn't have problems like the Woodtek with some woods....just saying :>)

RayRay - While this does look like the photos from DuroTools planer, I ordered the WOODTEK® 24-760 from Woodworker and this is what I received. The description on the Woodworker site does say that it includes the sharpening wheel, and it does. I was very pleased to see it has the more solid base, as that was previously stated as a concern with the Woodtek. About $43 shipped, and I'm very pleased with it so far.

Ray Ussery

Post by Ray Ussery » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:00 pm

That's great Daniel! Have to look at that option... :>) Thanks!!

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:39 pm

I am looking at the video and thinking "two guys to feed a little piece of wood through the tool path" -- are these "safety planers" really safe? Looks to me if you loose control of the piece for a half second it will either be ruined or shot across the shop like rocket?

Daniel P

Post by Daniel P » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:59 pm

I've been making straight razor scales and planed a number of pieces by myself, with no fence,j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶g̶l̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶i̶d̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ just careful handling of the wood, and had great success.

I'm certain there are "safer" ways to precisely thin wood, but for the little bit I've been doing it made sense. I would treat the safe t planer with the same level of reverence I would any power tool - table saw, router, or other.
Last edited by Daniel P on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:21 pm

Well -- here goes -- I have not functioned as a manufacturing production manager for about ten years now, but in all my years in that capacity I know that wearing gloves while operating a drill press or lathe was strictly prohibited and violated the rudimentary safety rules on the shop floor -- Also if a plant allowed the practice and was caught during an OSHA safety inspection they would be heavily fined -- this is not a joke, if you get a pinky caught on that tool it could get ripped off.