A EIR Dred in the D45 tradition

Show us how your current project is progressing
TonyinNYC

Re: A EIR Dred in the D45 tradition

Post by TonyinNYC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:48 am

It looks great. You did a fantastic job on the inlay too.

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks Tony, I fixed the heel just for ju! "wink"

Kevin

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:58 pm

I knew it!!

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:23 pm

Last night I drilled/reamed the 1/2" hole in the tail end for the end pin jack as this guitar is getting a pickup. I also drilled the tuning machine holes. I drill a very small pilot hole, then come in from both sides with the 3/8" brad point bit, meeting in the center. This way I get no chip out. Then I drill in from the back with a 24/64" bit in about 2/3 of the way to accomodate the tuner. I knew my headstock inlay was not quite on the center line, even though I tried so hard to get it there when I glued on that plate. I didn't look too far off until I drilled the tuner holes, then it did. I measured and it is 1/8" to one side of center....arg. Not the end of the world, and I will not point it out to the owner, but it is frustrating. Another place for improvement in my measuring techniques!! Also, my tri-focal glasses don't help me out when doing this kind of thing either as I get a "curve" to surfaces when looking at certain angles.
Anyway........I am basically ready to do a final gap search and fill, and final sanding in preparation for an initial spray of sealer, followed by more pore filling...which I hope to begin this weekend.

Kevin

Bob Moore

Post by Bob Moore » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:05 pm

Looking very nice. Getting so close too.
If you found a 4" drum, could you pass some info on where you found it. I'm going to need one as well. That's perfect for what I need.
Did I understand the allusion between Tony and "big heel", or am I out of whack? :) Both could be possible at the same time, I guess. J/K

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 pm

When I find the 4" drum I'll let you all know where. So far all I see is 3".
I realized while in the shower this morning (yes I do some very deep thinking there) that I still have to make my bridge before I do any spraying of sealer. So that will be the next project, then on to the finishing prep. I have a real nice Madagascar Rosewood bridge blank to make my signature bridge from, I'll show you all how it turns out.
Bob, oh no, Tony is not a big heel, he is the big cheese (of his home). We certainly do play on the words around here sometime, all in fun though.

Kevin

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:53 am

Yesterday I got the bridge made, 3/8" thick came out he perfect height. I've got about 1/32" over the bridge at the saddle.
I also did some gap filling as I could find them around the bindings and neck shaft/fretboard join. I always seem to have some slight ones there.
I sanded over the whole guitar, located the bridge with pins and masked off the area. Today I plan on spraying a coat of vinyl sealer in preparation for pore filling this week. Almost there!

Kevin