New f-hole flattop

Show us how your current project is progressing
Ray Ussery

Re: New f-hole flattop

Post by Ray Ussery » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Kevininca wrote:Okay Dave, now I get it, but I still don't know who Jake is :>)
(okay, I'm just teas'in)

I really like how that top looks. The more I see some streaking and color in tops, the more I like them.
Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Kevin
Yes indeed...and I think the "F" are really complimentary to the streaking, especially where they are located. :>)

Woodyok

Post by Woodyok » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:49 pm

OK David,

You pulled another one off... it is beautiful. But there ain't no strings on it brother. I'll probably be able to hear it implode hear in Prescott.

Good job.
Woody OKeefe
Prescott,Arizona

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:43 pm

Woody - you will be glad to know that the strings are NOW on the guitar. Tuned up to about C, just watching the top to see if it starts to cave. Two skinny A braces and one ladder brace. The notes I've played so far are really nice, though.
More a little later.
Yes, the little floral bag at the end of the guitar is in fact an Estee Lauder makeup bag. My wife gets them for free when she buys makeup, and she won't get anything in a nice snakeskin or leather. :-( I use it for picks and other stuff.
Attachments
DSC00720.JPG
DSC00720.JPG (297.06 KiB) Viewed 581 times
-Under permanent construction

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Very nice Dave, it looks great. Will you be posting a sound clip?

Kevin

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:07 pm

I think so. I've tuned it to pitch and will let it sit overnight. If there is not a pile of splinters there in the morning I will try to record something.
Where can I post the clip, btw?

The soundport does add an extra dimension to what the player hears. I like it.

John Link

Post by John Link » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Dave, good for you on laminating the sides. It has always seemed like a good idea to me because it makes them stronger, and even "deader" than they normally are. (They have tapped out dead on every guitar I've ever tapped, even some pretty awesome vintage ones with thin wood.)

Theory: The sides exist to keep the back and top from colliding and to help enclose a certain volume of air as the starting point of making a sound - period. If the horse is already dead, why waste any energy whatsoever on it? I just never had quite the nerve to put this theory into practice. Even if it makes no sonic difference, it would make for a more durable instrument. Have you laminated sides before?
John

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:28 pm

John - I've laminated the last 3 or 4. This was more of a 'double' side - 2 x .045". My usual practice is .045" outside, and 2 x .025" inside layers, using West systems epoxy and the bag.

It does allow me to use highly figured wood without much worry - I don't have a lot of wood laying around, and cracking a side would be a real setback.

I have all the supplies except a bridge for my next instrument - a bubinga/spruce ladder-braced gypsy guitar. Not a flattop. I'll be following the plans for the D-hole instrument from Michael Collins. Though I have an idea about the hole that I may try out.
Attachments
Collins_14fret_D_forweb.jpg
Collins_14fret_D_forweb.jpg (105.01 KiB) Viewed 559 times