My redwood top is chipping

Wood choice logic, brace shapes, braces patterns -- what and why for the "heart of the guitar"
J Phillips

My redwood top is chipping

Post by J Phillips » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:23 pm

I took a cut of qtr sawn redwood and made my top and back pieces. I thinned them down to .085 and joined them. I realize now that I probably should have left them a little thick. There werent any problems as I added the braces but now that I've closed the box I'm getting cracks and chipping along the outer edges running with the grain. the chipping has been within the binding and purfling channel areas so far except in a couple of spots. But I can imagine that as I route the binding channel the wood will chip into the top and back. I may have to remove the redwood and go to another species. But before I do that does anyone have any method of strengthening up the wood. I thought of applying a coat of finish before I do anymore work but I don't know if this will be of any help. I have seen a wood hardener in the hardware store but that product is used to firm up rotting wood and I don't think its clear either.
Jim
Jim Phillips
Will work for G-code.

ken cierp

Re: My redwood top is chipping

Post by ken cierp » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:26 pm

RW is brittle for sure -- a few coats of sealer helps a little, fresh sharp bits are a must -- down spiral!

J Phillips

Re: My redwood top is chipping

Post by J Phillips » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:57 pm

I have your binding system and it worked great on my last build, even using an upcut bit. I know our local stores don't have a downcut, so I guess it will be a bit till I can order the bit. LOL. I'll apply the sealer. I should be able to see if it makes a difference on these pieces. thanks for the tips Ken.
Jim
Jim Phillips
Will work for G-code.