Gore Gilet Design and Build books

Tell us what you think of the construction books YOU OWN -- "please no hear say"
Dave Bagwill

Re: Gore Gilet Design and Build books

Post by Dave Bagwill » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:09 pm

I'm getting Gore envy...though I did not get that much out of the Somogyi books and ended up selling them..
-Under permanent construction

John Link

Post by John Link » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Rienk, Somehow I erroneously interpreted your remarks as meaning you were still looking for a reduced price set. Now I see you described trading "presents". I believe you will find the books worth the money. Although the web site warns about customs hassles falling into the lap of the purchaser, there were none in my case, The books were just left at my door.

Dave, since you like the "far out" and roll your own designs, I remain surprised you did not get along too well with Ervin Somogyi's book. But he never tells you everything he knows. Gore appears to. Both strike me as seriously amazing authors.

Somogyi has a PDF on his site now about thicknessing tops in which he states Sloane wrote his first book after making just a few guitars. Neither he nor Gore can be accused of that. (I never liked Sloane's book, though I bought one way back when - one took whatever one could get, there was so little to be had.)
John

Rienk Ayers

Post by Rienk Ayers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 pm

I was, but I decided I needed an early Christmas present.

I hope I actually get to read most of it over the holidays. I've been super busy designing/updating two airplanes, and haven't taken time for my new craft for months (woe is me). But I am slowly but surely finishing up my home shop. If it ever gets done, it will be the envy of most luthiers (who will consider it a supreme waste on such as me).

I look forward to learning from the maestro's down under!

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:59 am

Plus one for the Collings

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:05 pm

"ken cierp"Plus one for the Collings

They both sounded good as far as I could tell on a youtube. I personally liked the Trevor Gore, I thought it had a more balanced sound across the registers, being able to clearly hear the middle voicing's. The other thing I liked was how responsive the Gore guitar was to the guitarist touch, be able to go from quiet to loud with out dropping the quality of the tone.

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:43 pm

Yeah who could say what's "good-er" ? My ears liked the way the tune that is played sounded on the Collins --- totally subjective stuff, even to the point that I thought the Gore sounded homogenized rather than balance.

Rienk Ayers

Post by Rienk Ayers » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Isn't this thread supposed to be about the books?

I'm looking forward to getting mine.