Custom CNC bridges

Materials used - making - placing - gluing to the sound-board <-----<<< got to get this right!
TonyinNYC

Re: Custom CNC bridges

Post by TonyinNYC » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:51 pm

Here are pics of my new bridges. It is no longer just a prototype! From the left we have Indian rosewood, Madagascar rosewood, and ebony:

Here are the weights of the three bridges as they sit:
Indian rosewood- 19 grams
Madagascar RW--20 grams
Ebony ----------24 grams.

I suspect I will lose a couple of grams when I profile them to the soundboard but I am very pleased with the outcome and their weight. I weighed an ebony bridge once, I think it was from Stew Mac but I might be wrong. Anyway, it was 34 grams.
I am really excited to get the ebony one on a guitar I am working on...that all cedar project. I will obviously post the results with my awful playing and a video!

Tony

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Those are sweet Tony. I love the Mad Rosewood....got to get me some of that..........

Kevin

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:49 pm

Very difficult (at least it would be for me) to hit on a new design but I think you have succeeded. Great job. How thick is the saddle?
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Thanks guys. I think I did ok with the design but it's not totally original. I thought it was but I have seen similar designs since making mine. Oh well!

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:22 pm

My bridge design is original, but it doesn't look that good.

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 pm

HA!! Neither did mine until I got someone to cut them with a CNC!! The best I could muster was a bunch of chops with the Saf-T-Planer and then sanding it smooth. Now I have a good looking bridge that I hope functions as well as it looks. Plus, it's much lighter than the bridges I carved before and the ebony Martin style bridges I have used in the past. I want my guitars to be responsive to butterfly farts!

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 pm

TONY! Who do I send my plans to????????

Kevin