Home depot small spring clamps $.37

Solid or Laminated sides? Ribbon lining style (kerfing) - rim profiling, contouring and the logic for those choices
Dave Bagwill

Home depot small spring clamps $.37

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Yep, I bought 10 of them yesterday and they are just right for kerfing clamping. Plenty of clamping force and just the right size. I use the rubber band reinforced clothespins for most of the job, but at some critical areas a little extra clamping pressure makes me a feel more secure.
-Under permanent construction

Eric_K

Re: Home depot small spring clamps $.37

Post by Eric_K » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:18 am

I try to pick up a couple every time I go in. I almost have enough now. If you can ever have enough clamps.

Eric

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:42 am

That's what I use as well. One spring clamp then 3 clothespins (rubber band reenforced) basically all the way around.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:23 pm

I picked up something very cool to use for clamps. I just need to get my act together and cut it up to use. One day I will do that and post pictures. Then everyone will be envious!!! Until then, I use clothes pins with rubber bands and the occasional ratchet clamp in any troublesome areas.

dave d

Post by dave d » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:03 am

Does anyone use the office-supply type of binder clips? They have a fair amount of force, and come in a variety of sizes. If not, why not?
Attachments
Binderclips.jpg
Binderclips.jpg (9.56 KiB) Viewed 960 times

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:24 pm

You can use those clips ddietz. But depending on what material you are using for your linings, those may leave a dent. I use clothespins with rubber bands added for more clamping force and I recently used cedar for the linings. The clothes pins left marks in the cedar but it sanded out fairly easily. Just keep that in mind when using any type of clip or clamp.
I believe that Linda Manzer uses those type of clips and her guitars are pretty expensive so if you choose to use them, you will be in good company!

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:47 pm

You must take care to make sure what ever clamp you use does not pull the apex of the curve away from the rim and cause a gap. I believe this is one of the reasons factories such as Martin favor the narrow clothes pins for the majority of the clamping. What I am saying is the wide clamps can actually pull the kerfing away from the rim rather then compress. Ditto Tony too strong of a clamp can put gly dents in the kerfing.