Video of brushing Nitro Lacquer

Pore filling -- application methods -- schedules

Moderator: dhlutherie

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
TonyinNYC

Re: Video of brushing Nitro Lacquer

Post by TonyinNYC » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:30 pm

That would never work for me peter, because my kids are too young to have money, let alone buy me things. How do I convince my wife to get me this cup warmer? ;-)

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Tony............
The same way you convinced her to get you that all fancy LMI bending machine and lovely drum sander....and cochran router base, and, and, and.......:>)

Kevin
(yes I learned a lesson with that devcon epoxy. I'm glad to hear that the ZPoxy is going to work)

TonyinNYC

Post by TonyinNYC » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Kevininca wrote:Tony............
The same way you convinced her to get you that all fancy LMI bending machine and lovely drum sander....and cochran router base, and, and, and.......:>)

Kevin
(yes I learned a lesson with that devcon epoxy. I'm glad to hear that the ZPoxy is going to work)
OK. Well she did buy the bender, but I bought the drum sander. I could use the same tactic, just get it and not say anything, and with the price of the cup warmer, it shouldn't be a big deal.

The funny thing about using epoxy as a pore filler, is that so many people use it, but I do not once recall reading where anyone emailed the company to find out if it was compatible with the finish being used. Seems like that would have been a good place to start! Good thing one of us here thought of it!

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Sometimes it takes a while for me to wake up...I looked in my stash of finishing materials and found that I am the proud owner of a pint of Deft brushing satin, a pint of Deft brushing gloss, and a quart of Deft brushing semi-gloss. All three are new and unopened. I'm thinking some humility might be in order for my first brushed finish - - - what's the difference in shininess between satin and semi-gloss? Have I seen storebought guitars with satin/semigloss finishes and not thought them unusual, so they didn't register? I'm aware that a gloss finish needs to be seriously error-free lest it look really lousy, and I'm tempted to apply a less-than-glossy finish and do the best I can with it, satin or semi-gloss?

Comments, advice?

Thanks!
Peter Havriluk

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:53 am

The truth ------ If your surface prep and joints are not good it matters not whether you use a gloss or satin finish the craftsmanship will show through. Rather than use a semi-gloss its (in my opinion) better to use a gloss chemical then just stop the abrasive polishing progress when you come to a reflective look that is appealing to your eye. Satin on the other hand is a work saver and should be sprayed. The idea is that the last coat is not sand paper leveled or polished. Just let the coating level itself -- done.

Dave Bagwill

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:13 am

What polishing steps/products are sold at the local auto supply that are suitable for polishing up, by hand, a gloss finish?
In this case, water-based EnduroVar?

Noone in town carries Menzerna, but I'm sure there are equally good products that ARE available??

Help!!
-Under permanent construction