Sevy's procedure for rims - is this what you do?

Solid or Laminated sides? Ribbon lining style (kerfing) - rim profiling, contouring and the logic for those choices
Dave Bagwill

Sevy's procedure for rims - is this what you do?

Post by Dave Bagwill » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:24 pm

Sevy's instructions for profiling the TOP rim is interesting, but is it necessary?

I learned, starting out with Ken's kits, that the top rim just stays flat, because at a 40' top radius there is no need to do any profiling. And he explained why in some detail.

Sevy goes much further. What do you think? Remember, this is the TOP.
Link https://jsevy.com/wordpress/index.php/b ... and-sides/
Attachments
sevy.JPG
sevy.JPG (138.79 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
-Under permanent construction

John Parchem

Re: Sevy's procedure for rims - is this what you do?

Post by John Parchem » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:05 pm

I profile the back before bending and leave the top straignt. I like having the top of the sides as a straight reference when putting the guitar in the mold. Once in the mold with the sides glued to the blocks I can transfer the straight reference with a chalk pencil or white pencil to 10 and 20 mm down from the top. After the guitar is happily in the mold with the reference lines I can use a radius dish to profile the top or do what he shows - make the line and use a plane instead of a radius dish.

Carl Dickinson

Re: Sevy's procedure for rims - is this what you do?

Post by Carl Dickinson » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:23 pm

I also use this procedure. Since I don't profile the sides before bending it's done mostly done for the back. The sides are in the mold and laid in the radius dish, 28' top and 15' back. For the back, the heel is blocked up for the taper, usually 3/4". Then mark it. Sometimes maneuvering around the waist spreader can be difficult. I cut close to the line on the back with an oscillating tool then drive the bus. Top, I drive the bus then flatten from neck block to waist per Hesh Breakstone's tutorial on OLF.