side reinforcement strip dimensions

Solid or Laminated sides? Ribbon lining style (kerfing) - rim profiling, contouring and the logic for those choices
peter havriluk

side reinforcement strip dimensions

Post by peter havriluk » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:01 am

I have some offcuts from some over-length side material. Will using these as crossgrain reinforcement strips be worthwhile, or will I be better served making reinforcements from thicker lumber? My temptation is to strip the offcuts into 1/4" wide pieces and install one every couple of inches around the side. I've seen side reinforcements made from fabric soaked in glue to trapezoidal struts in Bourgeois guitars and a whole lot in between.

Thanks, folks.
Peter Havriluk

Herman

Re: side reinforcement strip dimensions

Post by Herman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:21 pm

With your side material, used cross grain, you will be fine. It just needs to prevent cracking of the sides along the grain.
If a glued cloth will do the trick, then solid wood will do too.

Herman

peter havriluk

Post by peter havriluk » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks, reinforcing the anti-cracking idea is always worth mentioning. I had another topic, which of course I relied on telepathy to communicate...cupped sides. This seems to show up often enough that I might encounter it myself. Any idea whether side reinforcements made of the side's offcuts are useful in negating cupping? I can easily laminate a couple of thicknesses together and get struts a whole lot stiffer if I need to do that.
Peter Havriluk

Tim Benware

Post by Tim Benware » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:33 pm

I use the side cutoffs for mine. I cut them 1/2" wide and the are the side thickness (~ .075"). I place six on each side, centered over the back brace and the others centered between the end/tail block and brace. I like the symmetrical look it gives. I also chamfer the sides and ends of the reinforcement strips.
Attachments
15 Side Reinforcements.jpg
15 Side Reinforcements.jpg (227.28 KiB) Viewed 1297 times
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC