How bad is this?

Solid wood and laminates -- carving process, dimensional concerns, shape preferences
johnnyg

Re: How bad is this?

Post by johnnyg » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks Ken for clarifying that. The fingerboard width already matches the neck except at the nut. I don't see how to bevel the fretboard and not have it narrower than the neck. I have added a pic that shows it from the back for clarification.
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG (40.25 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
- johnnyg

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Glue on the finger board and blend the edges by look and feel theres no need to remove material from the neck first. I suggest that you put your math hat away and put on your sculpting hat

Jim Ebert

Post by Jim Ebert » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:49 am

This is what I managed to do this weekend. Don't ask how, but in the end I knew I wouldn't be happy with the repair options and could not think of a way to fix it that wouldn't be noticeable. I decided to remove the fret board and headstock veneer and start over again. I really hate wasting wood so I am thinking that I will take the damaged neck now that every thing is removed and slice it down the middle and make a laminated neck out of it. Perhaps that could be an option for you. In the end it all comes down to what you will be happy with and what you are willing to do to fix it. For me it was spending a whole day paying my dues for one second of distraction. Since you don't have the fret board or headstock veneer attached yet it might not be that difficult to slice it in half and glue in a center piece adding the needed width to make it right. Just a thought, Good luck.
Jim.
Attachments
Neck  mishap.jpg
Neck mishap.jpg (152 KiB) Viewed 774 times

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:46 am

I don't see how to bevel the fretboard and not have it narrower than the neck.
JohnnyG I look at your pictures and agree with Ken it sure looks fixable by blending the the fret board and the neck together. Ken was not suggesting that you bevel the entire fretboard before glueing it on. The neck has a tight curve, so there is no issue with continuing that curve right to the top edge of the fretboard. There is no reason that the side of the fretboard needs to be square to the top. I think blending it in will look completely normal. Glue the fretboard on and just blend it in with sandpaper and a block. When blending it in use long motions in line with the neck; that way in will blend in every direction.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks. I have put on my culpting hat and am working on blending it in. I will send update pics.
- johnnyg