Clear pore filler

Pore filling -- application methods -- schedules

Moderator: dhlutherie

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
davidw

Clear pore filler

Post by davidw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 am

Does any one have a source for clear pore filler? Saw it mentioned on the Taylor You-tube factory tour. Don't want to stain gorgeous figured wood. Planning to use nitro over it. Thanks, Dave

TonyinNYC

Re: Clear pore filler

Post by TonyinNYC » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:47 am

Ken Cierp has a new nitro based filler that he likes. I'm sure when he gets on next time, he will give you the name. I can't remember it offhand.

David L

Post by David L » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:14 am

The brand is Hood, Ken will link you up. I have a can of it but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm like you, I don't want to take hundreds of dollars of wood and cover them up with stains, dyes or even the slight hues that some fillers have!

David L

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:46 am

The president of "Hood Finishing Products" is one of our members the link can be found here -- I really like the nitro lacquer based clear pore filler.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=48

Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:10 pm

I have also quite successully used clear epoxy with a little silica mixed in....sand it back to wood, with a coat or two of bullseye sanding sealer to seal it in. Then coating....best advice is to stick with one system.
So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:47 am

Yes -- compatibility is the key!

Here's the Hood schedules, I will post it in other threads as well:

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/fi ... ars_5_.pdf

MarkKlee

Post by MarkKlee » Sun May 20, 2012 4:51 pm

I just brushed on the second coat of Hood's clear pore filler and have a couple of questions that I couldn't find addressed in the directions:

1) I let the first coat dry overnight as suggested and sanded back with 220 sandpaper. I was not able to sand completely level b/c I was afraid of sanding through the filler. I could still see many "shiny" spots where the pores were not completely filled. After this second coat, should I be able to get to a completely level surface? Is 24 hours plenty of time for the pore filler to "gas off' and completely shrink? I'm finishing Brazilian RW and can still see some pores through the second coat - but was wondering what would warrant a third coat? I'm very pleased with the way the Hood's went on and how it sanded ... so far I'm much happier with this than the tradition pore filling.

and 2) How long should I wait after the final coat of Hood's to start applying lacquer? I'm going to be spraying Behlen's rattle can lacquer for the top coats.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Klee
Mark@HeartForAfrica.org
Swaziland, Africa