Clear pore filler

Pore filling -- application methods -- schedules

Moderator: dhlutherie

Forum rules
The purpose of this forum site is to provide a means for acoustic guitar makers at all skill levels to forward information, share experience and ask questions if project obstacles are encountered. We ask that egos be left at the door – the highest levels of courtesy and respect are to be shown to all. Posts containing disparaging comments will be removed. The “Acoustic Guitar Construction Forum” is owned by Kenneth Michael Guitars and is copy protected. Direct links to luthier suppliers are not permitted and will be edited.
ken cierp

Re: Clear pore filler

Post by ken cierp » Sun May 20, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi Mark.

You saw this right?

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/fi ... ars_5_.pdf

The issue with more then two coats is clarity -- the silica is actually white and sure enough too much sealer will appear whitish. That said I have tested heavier applications and after leveling clarity was still very transparent. So you can level sand, re-coat and level again the idea being you can't have an excessive build up on the surface so if you sand through it's not a big deal --- however, to prevent a blotchy appearance the entire surface has to have at least a thin coating of the filler before top coat can be applied -- make sense?

Yeah -- its difficult to determine exact drying/cure time just a guess but I'd say 24 hours is the minimum.

MarkKlee

Post by MarkKlee » Mon May 21, 2012 12:21 am

Yep - saw the schedule but it didn't address either of my questions.

Sound like as long as I'm sanding enough off to only leave a thin final coat of pore filler in the end it doesn't really matter how many coats I put on - you agree? So, keep applying until I can get a level sand and all pores are completely filled - but make sure I'm sanding enough off to only have a very thin coat. Makes total sense.

On the second issue - the schedule also doesn't suggest a timeframe between the final coat of pore fill and the first coat of lacquer. I wasn't sure if I needed to spray it soon, so as to burn the two coats together or wait a week or so to completely allow for ALL of the shrinkage to occur. Thoughts on this?

Mark
Mark Klee
Mark@HeartForAfrica.org
Swaziland, Africa

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Mon May 21, 2012 7:11 am

I am sure you can understand my reluctance to give any definitive coating recommendations -- I am not a chemist. The variables are exponential or at least many. What I do recommend is contacting the manufacturers (for any product) and get the scoop right from the the horses mouth. As a matter of fact I am in the process of clearing up questions I have about some Pacer Industry products.

I would think that since the Behlens and the Hood are lacquer base coatings, burn-in is not an issue. Plus I believe that it is what goes on top that does the chemical etching. Your concern in general is a good one and exactly why I hesitate to use epoxy resin as a filler -- if the lacquer just lays on top, its my belief, that can't be good.

Kevin in California

Post by Kevin in California » Mon May 21, 2012 9:47 am

Hi Mark,
I have only used the Hoods once. I sprayed it on, two coats. I waited one day after the second coat, leveled it and started spraying Behlens lacquer. That was a month a go, the finish looks great so I think the lacquer burned in quite nicely. I guess more time will tell.
I liked the Hoods, but on walnut, two coats did not fully fill the pores, however after about the 6 coat of lacquer, they were filled.
I tend to like clear pore filler and I think I had a problem going on when I was using epoxy - albeit it was Devcon, not the expensive resin epoxies, so that may make a difference. So there is my one meager experience with Hoods.

Kevin