Stahl Style 6 Build

Show us how your current project is progressing
Herman

Re: Stahl Style 6 Build

Post by Herman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:35 am

On the plan it looks like there are little braces to the end of the bridgeplate. The x-braces don't cover the end of the bridge. Is that so, or do I need new glasses?
Herman

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:48 am

Very striking!

Not a criticism --- but I offer this as a building tip. When using slab or riff sawn material, the symmetrical appearance can be improved by aligning and adjusting the grain convergence points rather than simply matching the plate length. A standard 22" plate blank usually has plenty of length to accommodate the offset.

John J

Post by John J » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Ken- thanks. The light colored convergence could have lined up better. I also thin the back strip seems to actually compound the issue.

Herman- here's a clearer picture of the plan. The bridge will cross the x brace. What's different is that the bridge plate is skewed for whatever reason.

And just as an aside - it's much easier to do the rosette before you glue the x braces in ;-)
Attachments
IMG_6319.JPG
IMG_6319.JPG (120.93 KiB) Viewed 781 times
JJ
Learning every day. And having fun doing it.

Herman

Post by Herman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:36 pm

Ok, now I see. Strange way to put the bridgeplate angled under the bridge.
herman

John J

Post by John J » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:03 pm

[quote="Herman"]Good clean work, John. Nice wood indeed. Be careful on sanding the Pau Ferro. I, and others too, got allergic to the wood dust.

Herman - was the allergic reaction immediate? I haven't noticed anything. I used my drum sander to thickness back and sides.
JJ

Jim Ebert

Post by Jim Ebert » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:59 pm

John, I have been close to picking up some Pao Ferro a few times on Ebay and am quite interested in it. I would love to here more on your thoughts about it.
According to Wood Data Base: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Pau Ferro has been reported as a sensitizer. Usually most common reactions simply include eye and skin irritation. Anecdotal evidence suggests that there is a high rate of reaction among woodworkers, and the wood contains the very same sensitizing substances as those found in rosewoods (Dalbergia genus).

http://www.wood-database.com/pau-ferro/
Jim.

John J

Post by John J » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:05 pm

Jim, I haven't noticed anything as of yet. I have congestion type allergies that have existed long before I started working with woods. I have not noticed any eye or skin reactions to Pau Ferro or Indian Rosewood or Brazilian RW. So far it seems to work well, bends easily and sands easier than Brazilian (doesn't seem to gum up the sandpaper). It's certainly beautiful.
JJ