Fret Layout Accuracy?

Wood type -- slotting -- contouring -- fret installation
Herman

Re: Fret Layout Accuracy?

Post by Herman » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Well John, would that be more difficult to hear or easier?
Herman

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Herman wrote:Well John, would that be more difficult to hear or easier?
Herman
I would think it is easier to hear as you have a reference. Very few western people have perfect pitch many have really good relative pitch. I know I am horrible in any case; trying to do ear training I failed to get past the difference between a minor or major first.

Will Reyer

Post by Will Reyer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Hey, many thanks to all who have or are replying, and particularly to Herman who furnished the link to the audio tests. Lots of good thoughts here.

I couldn't hear the 2 cent difference, and only could hear the 5 cent difference after backing out and listening to the larger increments. The 5 cent flat was also easier for me to hear than the tone going sharp.

I had my hearing tested close to 30 years ago in Texas and knew I had a diminished range of hearing, with the higher pitches being less audible. Three trucks ago, when I was still driving Old 97, Pam rode with me one day and asked what the noise was when I braked. It was the wear bars on the front disc brakes squealing but I couldn't hear that frequency.

I've been around shop machinery all my life, farm machinery, carpentry tools, framing guns, and firearms. I was also baby-sitted by my grandfather, starting at age 5, so my mother could care for my younger brother without my assistance. He would pick me up and take me with him all day.

My grandfather was a Car Repairman for the New York Central. Lots of freight cars then still had two-part babbit bearings running in cotton waste saturated with oil instead of modern roller bearings. When the oil ran dry the cotton waste caught fire, and the car was set off for repair on the nearest siding.

I did this all summer for several years with my grandfather; he had about a 3 or 4 county area he was responsible for repairs in. After the bearing was repaired and the car jacked back down, my job was to pull the release lever on the huge air tank that would release the air brakes so the car could be moved. That noise was like a bomb going off, and probably the start of my hearing loss.

My conclusion about my original question is that if you're as deaf as me, probably frets could be out of position by a far greater dimension than for those of you with more acute hearing. I think I'm definitely in the Benware camp on this one.