Bridge placement/scale surprise

Materials used - making - placing - gluing to the sound-board <-----<<< got to get this right!
John J

Bridge placement/scale surprise

Post by John J » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:40 am

Ahhh. So on my cutaway 00 build I had glued the fretboard to my neck and bolted it up and went to mark the bridge position with the KMG bridge setter (all I've ever used) when to my surprise I found that it didn't line up with the frets.
I had purchased some slotted ebony fretboards from what I thought was a reputable seller that sold them as 25.4" scale. Through some research and using the StewMac online fret calculator I've determined the scale to be 25.5" and they list the distance from nut to saddle center on high e string as 25.589".
My question is have any of you used their calculator for bridge placement? Do you feel it's accurate? And do you think there is a noticeable difference in feel between the two scales?
JJ
Learning every day. And having fun doing it.

Tim Benware

Re: Bridge placement/scale surprise

Post by Tim Benware » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:10 am

John J wrote:Do you feel it's accurate? And do you think there is a noticeable difference in feel between the two scales?
Yes and no.
I've "Ben-Had" again!
Tim Benware
Creedmoor, NC

John Parchem

Post by John Parchem » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:17 am

I agree with Tim on both points. In classical guitar construction I have read a scale length needs to change by 5 mm, (about .2") before one can feel the difference. In that world most guitars are 640,650 or 660 mm, showing when a smaller or larger scale is required the change is about 10 mm to make it worthwhile.

Herman

Post by Herman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:28 am

For me also a yes and a no.
I used the Stewmac calulator all the time, and after completing the guitars I measured the notes with a strobe tuner. I think the fret positioning is quite correct.
Herman