Neck Change

Dove Tail -- Mortise and Tenon -- the right choice and how to get it to fit
Harold in Tn

Neck Change

Post by Harold in Tn » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:32 pm

Is there any reason why I couldn't turn a dovetail joint into a bolt-on joint by putting bolts in through the neck block and not gluing the joint ??

ken cierp

Re: Neck Change

Post by ken cierp » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:11 pm

Sure that can work OK

John Link

Post by John Link » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:39 pm

I am doing exactly that on a restoration of a 1965 Guild 12 string. Once the back is off, it seems like a good upgrade to make.
John

Harold in Tn

Post by Harold in Tn » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:53 pm

John, do you have any photos of what you are doing to the Guild?

John Link

Post by John Link » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:26 am

I think I posted some pix somewhere here, but I can't remember. Technically, this forum is about building, not restoring, so I don't think they really belong. The Guild has come a long way from the box of parts I started with, but still has a long way to go. It is an interesting project, almost too interesting. I have not taken many photos as I've gone along. If you PM me your email address, I would be happy to take some JPEGs of the neck and neck block and send them on.

Now that I have removed the top it is clear a bolt on approach is the best, given the way Guild made the system. For the sake of stability, I will glue the fingerboard to the new top (with hide glue), and replace the Popsicle brace with a solid block.
John

ken cierp

Post by ken cierp » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Technically, this forum is about building, not restoring, so I don't think they really belong.
There is no reason not to share all aspects of guitar construction or repair, just place the topic in the appropriate forum section. At one time there was a specific repair/restoration section but after one or two posts it had zero participation.