3-piece neck wood dimensions

Solid wood and laminates -- carving process, dimensional concerns, shape preferences
peter havriluk

3-piece neck wood dimensions

Post by peter havriluk » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:27 pm

I have in my stash of parts purchased when I knew too little for my own good a pair of black cherry necks whose fretboard areas are 3/4" thick. Seems a mite skimpy, as wood vendors seem to sell neck blanks cut from '1x3' stock. Is this really one inch by three inches or lumberyard terms for materials measuring 3/4" x 2 1/2"? And is it a rational idea to use material 3/4" thick for an acoustic neck? The only advice I've found encourages the builder to 'make the neck blank 1/64" thicker than the finished neck thickness'. If only I knew what that was. I was planning on carving until I had something that either felt good or felt familiar, at least.

Thanks, folks.
Peter Havriluk

ken cierp

Re: 3-piece neck wood dimensions

Post by ken cierp » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:30 am

I know its not my $$ (Cherry is not expensive) but unless the wood is special or has special meaning I would not mess with it for necks -- yes 1/4" sawn blanks are usually minimum of 7/8" x 3 1/2" wide so the blended heel stack looks OK.

peter havriluk

Re: 3-piece neck wood dimensions

Post by peter havriluk » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Ken, thanks for taking the time to offer some advice. Which I'm taking. I can chew on stuff that looks like a neck all I want, but I'll get indigestion. Well past time to use the necks as 3D models of necks and make some out of safer materials. Cheap tuition at the school of experience.
Peter Havriluk